Fishing Vessels of the
Compiled by Harvey Hadland
DAHEMA Owned by John F. Brown, Munising, Mich. in 1929, size of
boat is not known.
DAVID Owned by Earl Steinhoff, Munising, Mich. in 1954, size of
boat is not known.
DAWN Built at Big Bay, Madeline Island, in the early 1940s, by
Frank Muhlke. Boat was 30 ft. in length, and equipped with a gas engine.
Owner Leonard Erickson fished from Big Bay during the 1940s and 50s.
DAWN 228128 Built by Burger Boat Co., in 1928, for Leslie H. Cornell,
Washington Island, Wis., 44 ft. x 11 ft., and equipped with a 45-54 hp.
Kahlenberg oil engine. With Cornell's retitement in 1966 the boat was
sold to Gaylord Schultz, Ironwood, MI. who operated for a short time out
of Black River Harbor, MI. By 1968 the boat was back at Bayfield, abandoned
by its owner. After sitting in the Reiten boat yard for a few years it
was taken over by a wooden boat club and put on display at the foot of
Broad Street, where it sits to this day. VIEW
DAWN 246239 Built at Marinette, Wis. in 1944 by Karl Magnuson,
for Kenneth O. McFarland, Milwaukee, Wis. Registered length, 36.5, beam,
11.15. Owned by mcFarland from 1944 to 1947. Owned by Thomas Peterson,
Fayette, Mich. from 1947 to 1958, and by Hector Peterson, Fayette, after
1958. When owned by the Petersons the boat was equipped with a Cummins
DEBBIE D. See JOEL
DELBERT Owned by Robert J. Matson, Munising, Mich. in 1950.
DELLIE W. 238431 A 52 ft. x 14 ft. steel hulled fish tug, built
by Barcelona Fish Co., Erie, Pa. in 1939, and owned by Erie Fish Co. from
1939 to 1944. W. Howard Wilson, Erie, Pa. Is listed as owner from 1944
to 1967. From 1967 to 1969 Richard Grabowski, Menominee, Mich. is owner,
and from 1969 to 1971 Louis Ruleau, Cedar River, Mich. is owner. Paul
LeClair, Two Rivers, Wis. had the vessel from 1971 to 1975. In 1975 the
boat went to Lake Erie and was owned by Gerson Borges, Vermilion. Ohio.
The vessel had name changes in 1971, to BETTY L. and 1975, to MARY
B. and was out of documentation between 1982 and 1988.
DELMER T. A 36 ft. steam powered fish boat, owned by Lester Lovejoy,
Harbor Beach, Mich., in 1931.
DELOS H. SMITH 62 ft. x 14 ft. Built in 1923, and originally steam
powered. After just a few years the boat was re-powered with a 75-90 hp.
Kahlenberg oil engine. Operated by Smith Bros. Fishery from their base
at Grand Marais, Mich. for many years. The boat was bought by Henry Rogers,
Escanaba, and Grand Marais, Mich. in the late 1940s.
DELOS H. SMITH II ..55 ft. x 15 ft. Built at Northeastern Boiler
Works, Green Bay, Wis., in 1945, from a design developed by Walter W.
Haertel. Operated out of Grand Marais, Mich., by Grasser Fish Co., a division
of Smith Bros, Port Washington, Wis. Power was supplied by two GM 6-71
diesel engines driving a single propeller through a special built Twin-Disc
reverse-reduction gear. VIEW PICTURE
DIAMOND .52 ft. steam powered fish tug, owned by Joseph Wilson,
Ontonagon, Mich., in 1938.
DIS-UN-DOT 37 ft. version of the above listed Dawn, and also built
by Frank Muhlke, in 1938, for owner, Arthur Kron. Boat was equipped with
a Chrysler Crown gas engine. The name of the boat was taken from Muhlke's
heavily accented German way of saying "this and that." Kron sold the boat
to Ernest LaPointe some time in the late 1940s. After a lengthy period
as a fish boat, she was sold to an owner at Duluth, and converted to a
DON Owned by Byron Ross, Muskegon, Mich. in 1950
DONNA BELLE See LILY MAE.
DONNA MARIE A 36 ft. fish boat, built at Houghton Point in 1938,
by Frank Muhlke, for Ted Bodin. Launched in July and taken to Duluth that
fall, to fish herring, the boat was rammed and sunk by the 60 ft., steel
hulled SEA BIRD, owned by LaPointe Bros.
Fishery. VIEW PICTURE
DORTHEA Built at Bayfield, by Oluf Edwards, a 35 ft. gas powered
fish boat of double ender design. Owner, Fred Hansen fished the boat from
Sand Island through the 1938 season. His son Jacob then fished a few years,
eventually selling to Clare W. Bodin, Houghton Point. VIEW
DOUGHBOY 48 ft. x 12 ft. Built by Burger in 1926, for Norman V.
Allie, Two Rivers, Wis. Equipped with a 45-54 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine,
this boat had a full-width pilot house, over the net lifter, and was a
larger version of the 44 ft. CAROLYN, owned by Gus Mollhagen, Michigan
City, Ind. Offered for sale in Dec. 1929 for $7000, the building price
had been $9000. In Aug. 1930 the boat was again for sale, now for $6,500.
Later owners include: Joseph Litz, Waukegan, 1931-1933, August Detlaff,
Waukegan, 1934-1944, Maurice Garrett, Zion, Ill., 1945-1951, Doughboy
Fish Co.(M. Garrett), Waukegan, 1952-1956, Doughboy Fish Co.(Harry F.
Steimle), Waukegan, 1957-1959, Doughboy Fish Co.(Maxeine Witte), Waukegan,
1960-1971. VIEW PICTURE
DOUGHBOY II .. 42 ft. x 12 ft. Built by Marinette Marine in 1947,
for Doughboy Fish Co., Waukegan, Ill. Listed in 1949 as owned by Carl
Bottle and Maurice Garrett, Waukegan, Ill. No information on make or model
DOUGHBOY JR. 254208 .42 ft. x 12 ft. Built by Marinette Marine
Corp. in 1947 for Doughboy Fish Co., Waukegan, IL. Equipped with a D318
Caterpillar diesel, the boat was sold to Emil Vetter in 1950 and operated
by Vetter out of Oscoda MI, and Fairport, MI. The boat is presently in
the Chassell, MI area.
DREAMER A small open boat , without a net lifter, owned by Martin
Kane, who built her on Oak Island, at some time in the 1930s. Kane fished
from the island, and lived there year-round.