Fishing Vessels of the
Compiled by Harvey Hadland
I. H. LARSEN 220618 Built at Menominee, Mich. in 1920. A 64
ft. x 16 ft. steam powered fishing vessel owned by Henry Muehlenberg,
Sheboygan, Wis. in 1938. VIEW PICTURE
IBSEN 209407 Built at Charlevoix, Mich. in 1911. A 38 ft. x 10
ft. steam powered fishing vessel owned by John Emory, Detroit, Mich. in
1938. Home port was listed as Grand Haven, Mich. in 1938 MVUS.
IDA S. 254822 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1948, for Frank Seger,
Sheboygan , Wis. The 55 ft. x 14 ft. vessel was equipped with a 100-120
hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. In 1952 the boat was repowered with Cummins
diesel. In 1956 the boat was for sale, at a price of $27,000, and was
eventually sold to Lewis Brooks, Cheboygan, Mich. in the mid 1960s. In
1975, Philip K. Anderson, Kewaunee, Wis., bought her and still is the
owner. VIEW PICTURE
IKE . A 36 ft. diesel powered fishing vessel, owned by Richard
Manthei, Manistee, Mich., in 1949.
ILLINOIS . 208115 Built at Manitowoc, Wis. in 1910. A 40 ft. x
11 ft. steam powered vessel, owned by Joseph Koss, Milwaukee, in 1938.
In 1947 the boat was re-powered with a Cummins diesel, and was still owned
INA MAY 20 ft. gas boat built on Rocky Island in 1938 by owner,
INCA Owned by V.L. Moore, Munising, Mich. in 1954. Size of the
boat is not known.
INDIAN . 212720 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1914, original owner
not known. The 44 ft. x 12 ft. vessel was steam powered for some time.
Owners listed in MVUS begin with; James P. Peterson, Muskegon, 1925-1926;
George H. Senecal, Muskegon, 1927-1928; James Madsen, Chicago, 1929-1932;
Thomas C. Green, Muskegon, 1933-1934; Chris Wakild, South Haven, 1935-1938;
James Madsen, South Haven, 1939. During the summer of 1936 James Madsen
installed a 50-60 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. On Nov. 11, 1940 the boat
foundered in a severe storm, and all onboard were lost, presumably off
INGA N. 226515 Built at St.James, Mich., on Beaver Island, in
1927. A 38 ft. x 11 ft. vessel, reportedly diesel powered. In the 1950s
the boat was owned by Julius Yauger, Two Rivers, Wis.
INTERLUDE Owned by George Cole, Munising, Mich. in 1954. Size
IONE Built at Bayfield, Wis. in 1936, for Ole Frostman, the 42
ft. x 10 ft. vessel was originally powered with a Graymarine gas engine.
During the winter of 1936-37 a 30-36 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine was taken
across the ice to Madeline Island and installed in the boat while hauled
out at Big Bay. In the 1960s the boat was sold to Herman Johnson, Jr.,
Bayfield. The Kahlenberg was replaced with a GM 6-71 diesel. The boat
was later sold out of the fishery, converted to a yacht, and taken to
Florida. VIEW PICTURE
IRENE 50 ft. x 12 ft. fish tug , equipped with a 60-70 hp. Kahlenberg
oil engine. Owned by Victor Halberg Sons, Fishery, St.Ignace, Mich. in
the 1930s. In 1937 the boat was sold to Joe Adrian Co., Milwaukee. VIEW PICTURE
IRENE A 27 ft. gas boat owned by Joseph Bero, Menominee, Mich.
IRENE A 28 ft. gas boat owned by William Buckler, Leland, Mich.
IRENE Owned by William C. Lentz, Standish, Mich. in 1931. Size
ISABELL C. Built at Manitowoc, Wis. in 1913. A 54 ft. x 14 ft.
steam powered vessel, owned by Enos Petitpren, Grand Marais, Mich. in
1929. In 1938 owned by Peter Swanson, Grand Marais, Mich.
ISLANDER 210987 Built at Sturgeon Bay in 1912. Registered length,
36.5 ft. x 9.25 ft. beam. Early history not available. Owned by Chambers
Island, Sheboygan, from 1925 to 1927. Then by Chambers Island, Fish Creek,
Wis., from1927 to 1934. From 1934 to 1940 the boat was owned by Richard
Kleinke, Menominee, Mich. Arthur Kleinke, Menominee, 1940 and 1941. Ownership
then went to Kermit Kleinke, Marinette, Wis. VIEW
ISLANDER 235759 Built by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works in 1936 for Albert
Goodmander, Washington Island, Wis. With a registered length of 41.6 ft.
and beam of 12 ft., the boat was equipped with a 60-70 H.P. Kahlenberg
oil engine. Goodmander owned the boat until 1960, when it was sold to
Marvin Weborg, Ellison Bay, Wis. In 1977 Glenn Seger, Sheboygan, Wis acquired
the boat. It has been repowered with a Cummins diesel.
ISLANDER Owned by Gerald C. Green, Muskegon, Mich. in 1940. Size
of boat is not known.
ISLE ROYALE QUEEN . 237922 Built at Portage Entry in 1938, the
40 ft. x 11 ft. gas powered vessel was owned by Charles Kauppi, Gay, Michigan.
ISLE ROYALE QUEEN 30 ft. fishing vessel, built by Melvin Edwards,
Black River Harbor, MI Originally equipped with a war surplus Buda diesel,
it was later repowered with a GM 3-53 diesel. After being owned by Joe
Deragon, Bayfield, WI for a few years, it was sold to Morris Boutin, Bayfield.
The name was then changed to JEAN MAUR B. II The boat is still
in use. VIEW PICTURE
IVA MAY. 250829 .Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1946, for Arthur
Tucker, Benton Harbor, Mich. The 52 ft. x 14 ft. vessel was equipped with
a 100-120 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. In the 1950s the boat was sold to
the Fish Wildlife Service, Dept. of Interior, re-powered with a GM 6-71
diesel, and converted to use as a fishery research vessel. Stationed at
Bayfield, Wis. until 1998, she was then transferred to Cheboygan, Mich. VIEW PICTURE