Fishing Vessels of the
Compiled by Harvey Hadland
M & R 248965 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1945, for Mueller
Razal Fishery, Sheboygan, Wis., the 48 ft. x 13 ft. all steel vessel was
originally equipped with a 141 hp. Chrysler Royal gas engine. In 1950
Gerald Casey, Fayette , MI, bought the boat and repowered with a 150 hp.
Cummins diesel. In 1978 Jeffrey Weborg, Gills Rock, WI, bought her, changed
the name to J . WEBORG, and repowered with a Cummins K-Series diesel.
In 1981 the boat was bought by Great Lakes Fish Co.(Seger), Sheboygan,
WI and the name changed back to the original M & R.
M.G. See VANDERBERG BROS.
MABEL B. Owned by Engel Fisheries, Muskegon, MI in 1934.
MACKENZIE MAY Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1940 for Smith Bros., Port Washington, WI. The 42 ft x 12 ft. 4 in. steel hulled vessel was designed by Walter Haertel, along the lines of the earlier ENERGY. Originally equipped with a Hill diesel, it was later repowered with a GM 4-71 diesel and finally a 6-71 when owned by Emil Kallianen, Portage Entry, MI.
Leonard Peterson, Bayfield, WI., acquired the boat in 1972. Robert Boutin, Bayfield, owned the boat from the mid 1980s until 1997. It was next bought by Joseph Duffy and Ben Gustafson of Bayfield, who owned the boat for 11 years, then sold it in 2008 to Dirk Wachsmuth of Red Cliff, Wisconsin.
The boat gained a new owner and a new name in 2017, sold to Joseph Newago, Jr., who named it for his daughter MACKENZIE MAY. VIEW PICTURE
MAGGIE LYNN 240396 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1941, for Floyd
Grover, Montaque, Mich., the 44 ft. x 13 ft. all steel vessel was equipped
with a 50-60 Kahlenberg oil engine. In 1949 the boat was sold to Chicago
fish dealer Lawrence A. Schweig. For a time the boat was also owned by
Fred Post, Chicago. In 1952 Stenberg Bros., Pentwater, Mich., were the
owners. At this time she was re-powered with a 75-90 Kahlenberg. From
1971 until the present Petersen Fisheries, Muskegon, Mich., have been
the owners. They have replaced the Kahlenberg with a Caterpillar D353
turbocharged diesel. VIEW PICTURE
MAGGIE RILEY A 32 ft.(approx.) gas boat owned by Edw. Peterson,
Marinette, Wis. in 1930.
MAJESTIC 225407 Built by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works in 1925 for Harry
Hagen, Washington Island, Wis. With a registered length of 38.6 ft. and
a beam of 11 ft. Hagen owned the boat until 1956, when it was sold to
Lorman Greenfeldt, Washington, Island. In 1957 Greenfeldt sold her to
Frank Eichler, Kenosha, Wis. Eichler had ownership until 1963, when she
was sold to Exor Cote, also of Kenosha. Thomas McManus, Waukegan, Ill
is listed as the last owner, 1969 to 1976. The boat was abandoned in September
MAJOR A 47 ft. steam powered fishing vessel, owned by C.S. Nelson
Sons, Northport, Mich., in 1930.
MALLARD 226407 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1927, for Frank Lonzo
Sons, Two Rivers, Wis., the 48 ft. x 12 ft. wood hulled vessel was equipped
with a 60-70 Kahlenberg oil engine. The boat was later owned by Joseph
Bossler, Port Washington, Wis. In 1948 Bossler sold to Paul Thomas, Chicago,
where she was fished for a number of years. Still later she was bought
by an owner in South Haven, Mich., and converted into a tow tug.
MALLARD Built as a government tug in the 1890s, little is known
about her early years. The vessel was about 37 ft. in length; In 1930
she was operated out of Algoma, Wis. as a fish tug. In 1932 she was owned
by Harvey Olson, Ellison Bay, WI. In the late 1930s Clyde olson and Philip
Albertson took her to Port Wing, WI, where she operated until 1942. Taken
back to Lake Michigan again in 1942, she was slated for repairs, but was
MANITOU A 33 ft. gas boat owned by Walter Carlson, Cornucopia,
Wis. in 1936. Carlson moved to Bayfield in the early 1940s, and operated
there for a number of years. The boat was sold to Philip Winslow, who
after a few years sold the boat to Louis Peterson. Sold again, the boat
ended up at Ashland and was eventually abandoned.
MANVILLE L. . 235715 Built by Sturgeon Bay Shipbuilding and Drydock
Co., in 1936, for Manville LaFond Sons, Two Rivers, Wis. The 45 ft. x
13 ft. all steel vessel was designed by Walter W. Haertel. Originally
equipped with a 50-60 Kahlenberg oil engine, the boat was later re-powered
with a 75-90 Kahlenberg. After being owned by LaFond for many years, the
boat was sold to Ralph Cross, Charlevoix, MI in 1957. For sale in 1966,
it was not until 1976 when she was sold to Emerald LeBlance Sons Goulias
River, Ont. Fished for a time out of Mamainse Harbor, the boat was re-powered
with a 250 hp. Cummins diesel. She is presently at Southampton, Ont.,
on Lake Huron. VIEW PICTURE
MARGARET Built by Peterson Boat Works in 1934, for Joe Schmidt,
Algoma, Wis. The 45 ft. x 12 ft. wood hulled vessel was equipped with
a Kahlenberg oil engine(size not known), installed at Algoma, and taken
from another boat. Schmidt later sold her to Ed Zastrow, Algoma. Again
sold to owners in Door County the boat was last operated out of Baileys
Harbor, A severe storm in January 1975 resulted in heavy damage to the
boat while at a dock at Baileys Harbor. Since that time the boat has been
used as a centerpiece in several museum displays.
MARGARET Built by Peterson Boat Works, Sturgeon Bay, Wis., in
1934, for Ed Iverson, Frankfort, Mich. The 45 ft. x 12 ft. vessel was
equipped with a 45-54 Kahlenberg oil engine. Iverson died not long after
he acquired the boat, and it was then sold to Frank Eichler, at Kenosha.
In 1944 Eichler sold the boat to Everett Johnson, Port Wing, Wis. Iverson
died not long after he acquired the boat, and it was then sold to Frank
Eichler, at Kenosha. In 1980 Dean Halvorson bought her from Johnson, fished
her one year, and put her ashore and offered her for sale. After a few
years the boat was bought and converted to a tug yacht design, the Kahlenberg
replaced with a GM 6-71 diesel. Converted to a pleasure craft, the boat
is now in Duluth. VIEW PICTURE
MARGARET MATTHEWS .233457 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1934, for
Edward B. Matthews, Oscoda, Mich. The 48 ft. x 13 ft. riveted and welded
steel hulled vessel was equipped with a 60-70 Kahlenberg oil engine. In
1974 Richard and James Petersen, Muskegon, purchased the boat from Matthews
Fishery and changed the name to IRENE. In 1976 Petersen Bros. sold
her to Albert B. LeBlanc, Sr. Brimley, Mich. Some time after 1982 LeBlanc
sold to J.J. Camalick Sons, Inc., Chicago, who are still the owners, and
have re-powered with a Caterpillar diesel and replaced the wood pilothouse
and wood, on the otherwise all steel boat, with aluminum. The name has
been changed to JAY JAY CEE.
MARGARET Owned by Anthony Lapan, Pinconning, MI in 1931.
MARGARETHA Owned by William C. Lentz, Standish, MI in 1931.
MARGARETTE Owned by C.V. Beckert and Howard Bennett, Pinconning,
MI in 1931. Size unknown.
MARGARITA W. Little is currently known about this boat, shown
in an accompanying photograph at Waukegan, Illinois. It appears to have
been built by the Sturgeon Bay Boat Works. VIEW
MARGIE JANE Wooden tug belonging to Clayton "Moonie" Mullen of Menekaunee Harbor, Wis. VIEW PICTURE
MARIA A 42 ft. vessel, equipped with a General Motors diesel,
owned by Chris Hansen, at Sandusky, Ohio, in 1945.
MARIANNE 241182 Built at Bayfield, by Even Christensen, in 1940
for Melvin Erickson, the 40 ft. wood hulled vessel was equipped with a
Buick car motor. Later re-powered with a 110 hp. Red engine, the boat
was operated by Erickson and later his son Jack, into the late 1960s,
and then sold to Richard Gurnoe, who had the hull covered with welded
steel and installed a diesel engine. The boat is still at Bayfield, operated
by Richard Gurnoe, Jr. VIEW PICTURE
MARIE Built at Bayfield in the early 1930s for Ever W. Bodin,
Bayfield, the double ender hull was powered with a gas engine for a few
years, the equipped with a 20-24 Kahlenberg oil engine. In 1940 the 36
ft. boat was rebuilt with a square stern. In 1948 Bodin sold her to Melvin
Erickson, Bayfield. She was then re-powered with a 110 hp. Red Wing gas
engine. The boat is presently sitting on the edge of a berry field at
the John Erickson farm, outside Bayfield.
MARIE M. A 50 ft. all steel fishing vessel owned by Charles Mahler,
Put-In-Bay, Ohio, in 1947. The boat was originally equipped with a Chrysler
Royal gas engine. In 1967 she was at Oscoda Michigan, and later was owned
by Emerald LeBlance, powered with a Cummins diesel, and operated out of
Mamainse Harbor, Ont., on Lake Superior.
MARIE M. A fishing vessel of unknown size, owned by W.C. Powell,
Munising, MI in 1938.
MAR-JEAN See FLO
MARTHA A 39 ft. steam powered fish tug owned by Steve Ceskowski,
Milwaukee, in 1938.
MARVELLE Originally a cruiser, the 32 ft. wood hulled vessel was
converted to use as a fish boat by the Bodin Fishery at Houghton Pt. in
the late 1930s. The boat came to Bayfield in the early 1940s and was owned
briefly by Tony Thompson, and later Irving Hadland and also Orville Powers.
MARY A 39 ft. gas boat owned by Fred Kolbath, Oscoda, Mich. in
MARY A fishing vessel of unknown size, owned by Henry J. Brey,
Munising, MI in 1941.
MARY ALICE .Built at Bayfield by Oluf Edwards some time in the
late 1930s, the 26 ft.(approx.) ft. vessel was fished by Willis Edwards.
Equipped with an automobile engine, the boat was later owned by Allison
Boutin, and also Wilfred Peterson. Along with several other abandoned
boats, she was burned at the Reiten Boat Yard in the late 1950s.
MARY ALICE Owned by Oswald Anderson, Muskegon, MI in 1952. Size
of vessel is not known.
MARY ANN 277010 Built by Marinette Marine Corp. in 1958 for Leo
Stallman, Northport, Mich. and Henry Steffens, Jr., Leland, Mich. The
40 ft. x 12 ft, steel hulled vessel, an exact twin to the JANICE SUE,
was equipped with a GM 4-71 diesel. Henry Steffens owned the vessel from
1958 to 1972. Nicholas Lederle, Sault Ste. Marie, MI is the next owner
of record, and the vessel was dropped from documentation some time between
1982 and 1988.
MARY ANN Owned by Chas. DesJardine, Munising, MI in 1941.
MARY G. 204867 A 38 ft. x 10 ft steam powered fish tug built at
St. Joseph, MI in 1906 by Edward Truscott. In 1938 the vessel was owned
by Caleb Ver Duin, Grand Haven, MI.
MARY M. A 45 ft. diesel powered fish tug owned by John Bjork,
Munising, Mich. in 1975.
MARY Owned by William C. Lentz, Standish, MI in 1931. Size of
vessel, and type, is not known.
MARY S. 254036 A 53 ft. x 15 ft. steel hulled fish tug built at
Erie, PA in 1947 by J.W. Nolan Sons. From 1947 to 1960 the boat was owned
by Stanley Stucznski, Dunkirk, NY. During 1960 and 1961 Dunkirk Fish Co.
was the owner. From 1961 to 1967 Norman Casey, Oscoda, MI is listed as
owner. Everett Reed, Oconto, WI had ownership from 1967 to 1970, when
the name was changed to BOUNTY. Schilling Fish Co., Oconto, WI
acquired the boat in 1979, changing the name to ART SWAER IV
MAVRET W. The MAVRET W. began life as the 36-foot REDWING, an open excursion boat based at Geneva on the Lake, Ohio. The boat was built some time before 1914, when it was purchased by brothers Clarence and Charles Hoskins. In 1917, Charles bought Clarence's share of the boat and reconfigured it for fishing use: lengthening it by five feet, installing a Clay engine, adding a pilot house, and renaming the boat after his fiancé, Mavret Warren. Several years later, now married and with his business prospering, he commissioned a larger boat, the 55-foot MAVRET H. Later still Hoskins acquired the 64-foot MAVRET H. II, said to be "one of the fastest and most productive gill net boats on Lake Erie."
Extensive information on the MAVRET W. and other Hoskins boats can be found on the Ashtabula Wave website article, "The Redwing and Buckeye."
MAYABELLE A fishing vessel owned by Christian V. Jensen, Muskegon,
MI in 1934. Size not known.
McDONALD BROS. 248516 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1945, for Dennis
B. McDonald, Washington Island, Wis., the 48 ft. x 13 ft. all steel vessel
was equipped with a 75-90 Kahlenberg oil engine. In the late 1950s the
boat was sold to Walter, Leland, and Robert Voight, Sheboygan. In the
early 1970s the Kahlenberg was replaced with a advanced design, 4 cylinder
turbocharged, Murphy diesel. McDonalds sold the boat to Anschutz Bros.
Fishery, Baileys Harbor, Wis., who remamed her APACHE. VIEW PICTURE
MELVINA small fantail sterned open boat, about 22 ft. in length,
owned by Chris J. Hadland, Bayfield, Wis, in the early 1930s. Equipped
with a Ford Model T car motor, the boat had no lifter and was used in
the fishery among the Apostle Island. By 1936 the boat had been sold to
Hjalmer Olsen, Bayfield. When the boat was finally no longer of any use
it was pulled ashore at Grants Point on Madeline Island and burned.
MERCURY 235647 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1936, and listed as
owned by John Kahlenberg. The 42 ft. x 13 ft. all steel vessel was originally
equipped with a 50-60 Kahlenberg oil engine. In 1945 the boat was owned
by LeClair Bros., Jacksonport, Wis., and equipped with a 165 hp. Cummins
MERLEEN Built by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works in 1937, for Felix Pearson,
Naubinway, Mich. The 40 ft. x 12 ft. vessel was equipped with a 30-36
Kahlenberg oil engine. Pearson fished the boat at Seul Choix, Naubinway,
Manistique, and Grand Marais, Mich. In October 1939 Pearson sold the boat
to Smith Bros. Fishery. After W.W.II Smiths sold her to Nial Gates, Two
Rivers. Still later the boat went to Green Bay, and was then bought by
Reuben Peterson, Manistique. In the spring of 1974 Russell and Robert
Jensen, Manistique bought her and replaced the Kahlenberg with a Perkins
diesel. The boat was eventually sold out of the fishery.
MERMAID .Built at Cornucopia in 1943 by William Evanow. The 43
ft. wood hulled vessel was equipped with a 110 hp. Chrysler Crown gas
engine. In 1946 the boat was bought by Julian Nelson, Bayfield, and in
1948 re-powered with a 150 hp. Cummins diesel. When Nelson retired the
boat was bought by Allison Boutin and operated well into the 1970s, when
the machinery was removed and put in another boat. The abandoned hull
was taken to the James Erickson farm, and later burned. VIEW
MEYER BROTHERS .236718 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1937 for Charles
Meyer, Harbor Beach, MI., the 50 ft. x 14 ft. all steel vessel was equipped
with a 100-120 Kahlenberg oil engine. During WW II the boat was taken
over by the U.S. Government and converted for use as a fire-boat at Detroit.
Returned to the owners, it was eventually sold to Everett LaFond, Two
Rivers, in 1949, and re-named SENATOR. In 1955 LaFond sold to Harold
Sellman, Manistique, who re-named her SELLMAN BROS. In 1974 the
boat was sold to Arthur B. Atkinson, Waukegan. Again re-named, CLIFFORD
J., the boat was also re-powered with a 250 hp. Cummins diesel.
MI - TOY 234709 A 54 ft. x 14 ft. steel hulled fish tug built
at Erie PA in 1936. Owned by Albert Lampe, Erie, from 1936 to 1942, the
boat was taken over by the U.S. government from 1942 to 1945. From 1945
to 1949 R.D. Spicer, Erie, was owner; from 1949 to 1958 Circle Fisheries,
Erie, was owner.
MILDRED A vessel of unknown size, owned by Forrest Landis, Muskegon,
MI in 1950.
MILDRED B. A 30 ft. fishing boat, owned by Charles(Charlie)Benson,
Bayfield, WI. Built on Madeline Island, circa 1918, by John Peterson.
The typical fantail model, equipped with a gas engine, the boat was operated
by Benson from the early 1920s until his retirement in the mid 1940s.
MILDRED C. A 30 ft. gasoline engine powered fish tug, owned by
Arthur Johnson and Carl Hansen, Cornucopia, WI in the 1930s. The boat
was built as a poundnet boat, but later converted to a gillnet tug. After
many years of use it was dismantled in the late 1960s.
MINERS CASTLE A fishing vessel owned by Henry J. Brey, Munising,
MI in 1950. Size not known.
MINNEHAHA A vessel of unknown size, owned by Martin Severson,
Munising, MI in 1938.
MINNEMAC A 56 ft. wood hulled vessel owned by George Jones, Cornucopia,
Wis. Originally an excursion and passenger vessel, the boat laid on the
beach at Bayfield during the late 1920s. Purchased by Jones, it was adapted
for use as a fishing vessel. The original gas engine was replaced with
a 150 hp. Cummins diesel truck engine in the early 1940s. Used up until
the mid 1950s, she was eventually hauled ashore and broken up.
MINNIE M. A vessel of unknown size, owned by George McNab, Muskegon,
MI in 1938.
MISS AMERICA Built at Marinette, Wis. in 1927 by Larsons Boatworks. The 42-footer was powered by a 45-54 HP Kahlenberg oil engine, and owned by Charles Pearson, Naubinway, Mich. VIEW PICTURE
MISS BEHAVE Owned by Edward Kurdelski, Muskegon, MI in 1940. Size
of vessel not known.
MISS CHARLEVOIX 33 ft. x 10 ft. fishing vessel equipped with a
Kermath diesel engine. In 1948 she was owned by Les Emory, Owosso, Mich.
and offered for sale. VIEW PICTURE
MISS ENTRY 225628 Built at Chassell, Mich. in 1926, by Wiinikka
Boat Works, the 35 ft. x 10 ft. wood hulled vessel was equipped with a
gasoline engine, and owned by Jones Fish Co., Ontonagon, Mich.
MISS JUDY 280668 Built by T.D. Vinette in 1959, for Earl Pomeroy,
Eckerman, Mich. the 46 ft. x 13 ft. steel hulled vessel was diesel powered.
After just a few years the boat was sold to Jacob Ellefson Fisheries,
Washington Island, WI. Ellefson owned the boat until March of 2000, when
it was sold to Theodore Eggebraaten, Baileys Harbor, WI. VIEW PICTURE
MISS KAREN 282502 .Built by T.D. Vinette, Escanaba, in 1959, for
James Olson, Escanaba. The 40 ft. x 12 ft. steel hulled vessel was equipped
with a Hercules diesel. In 1961 Herbert and Niles Taddy, Two Rivers, were
the owners. They re-powered with a 6-71 diesel, and fished the boat until
retirement. Sold to Allan Geimer, Two Rivers, the boat was converted to
MISS MADILYNN A 30 ft. fishing vessel,
built as the ISLE ROYALE QUEEN by Melvin Edwards, Black River Harbor,
MI. Originally equipped with a war surplus Buda diesel, it was later repowered
with a GM 3-53 diesel. After being owned by Joe Deragon, Bayfield, WI
for a few years, it was sold to Morris Boutin, Bayfield. The name was
then changed to JEAN MAUR B. II The boat changed hands again after Boutin's death and in late 2013, new owner Joe Newago, Jr., renamed it for his daughter. VIEW PICTURE
MISS MANISTEE Fish tug based in Manistee, Mich; no further information available.
MISS TRAVERSE 240335 Built at Portage Entry in 1933, by Winnikka
Boat Works, the 35 ft. x 9 ft. wood hulled vessel was gas powered and
owned by Ralph Jaasko, Big Traverse Bay, Mich.
MISTER 240146 Built by Sturgeon Bay Boa Works in 1940, for John
DeYoung, Pentwater, Mich. Five years after being built the 40 ft. x 12
ft. vessel was re-powered with a 45-54 Kahlenberg oil engine. From 1954
to 1960 the boat was owned by Raymond Wakild, South Haven, MI and the
name was changed to HELEN W. After being sold to owners outside
the fishery the boat was gutted by fire in 1986. There have been efforts
to restore the vessel, but the outcome is doubtful. VIEW PICTURE
MISTRESS Built by Burger Boat Co. for John R. DeYoung, Pentwater,
Mich. the 42 ft. x 11 ft. vessel was equipped with a 30-36 Kahlenberg
MOLLY LEMON 208542 Built in 1905(Builder not indicated), the 32
ft. x 8 ft. vessel was equipped with a 12 hp. Kahlenberg gasoline engine.
Owners after 1913 include; C.E. Swanson, Marinette, 1914. John Grafstrom,
Marinette, 1917. Steve Minarik (Minarick, Minrik ) Marinette, Naubinway
1919, 1921, 1925-1944. Listed as abandoned in 1946 MVUS
MONITOR A 32 ft. gas boat owned by Oscar Nylund, Marinette, Wis.
MONITOR Built at Two Rivers, Wis. in 1918, for Manville LaFond,
by Henry Vincent. The 45 ft. vessel was equipped with a 50-60 Kahlenberg
oil engine. VIEW PICTURE
MORNING STAR 208543 Built by Henry B. Burger, Manitowoc, WI in
1904. The 37 ft. x 8 ft. wood hulled vessel was equipped with a 10 hp.
Kahlenberg gasoline engine. Owners after 1913 include; Arthur Horning,
Holland, Mich. 1914; Leonard Loyer, Holland, 1917-1919; Hobart Pakulla,
Chicago, 1921. Not listed in MVUS after 1925
MORNING STAR 278758 Built by Schwartz Marine, Two Rivers, Wis.
in 1959, for Thomas LeClair, Two Rivers. The 50 ft. all steel vessel,
was equipped with a 250 hp. Cummins diesel. Sold to William(Pete)Jensen,
Fairport, Mich. in the late 1980s, the gillnetter is still owned by Jensens
MORNING STAR A 34 ft. gas boat owned by Donald Chambers Son, Fish
Creek, Wis. in 1929.
MUNIS A fishing vessel of unknown size owned by Chas. A. Matson,
Munising, MI in 1938.
MY BUDDY 249463 Built by Marinette Marine Corp. in 1946, the 42
ft. x 13 ft. all steel vessel was one of three identical hulls, designed
by A.M. Deering NA, Chicago. Equipped with a GM 3-71 diesel, this particular
boat is believed to have been owned by Steinhoff Severson, Munising, Mich.,
and later sold to an owner at Brimley, Mich. After laying idle for many
years the boat was bought by Cecil Peterson, Bayfield, Wis., in the early
1970s. Peterson re-powered with a 250 hp. Cummins diesel, sold the boat
to an operator in the Houghton, Mich. area, repurchased her, then sold
her to Douglas Babineau, Bayfield. The boat was then sold to Alfred Holzer.
The engine was removed, and the future of the boat is in doubt. VIEW
MY COMRADE 233338 Built at Portage Entry in 1934, by Wiinikka
Boat Works, the 36 ft. x 10 ft. wood hulled vessel was equipped with a
gasoline engine, and owned by Richard Jamsen, Gay, Mich.
MY SWEETHEART 228185 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1928, for Henry
W. Smith, Waukegan, Ill. The 50 ft. x 12 ft. wood hulled vessel was equipped
with a 60-70 Kahlenberg oil engine. In the 1940s the boat was owned by
Everett LaFond, Two Rivers, and operated by Knudsen Bros. In 1965 the
bare hull was laying in the harbor at Two Rivers, the entire cabin burned
off. VIEW PICTURE