Fishing Vessels of the
Compiled by Harvey Hadland
B J 216868 A 64 ft steam powered fish tug built at Benton Harbor,
Mich. in 1918. Frank Deitch, St.Joseph, Mich. was the owner of record
in 1938, as indicated in MVUS for that year.
B. B. Owned by F.C. Balow, South Haven, Mich. in 1931.
B. L. 230524 Built at Saugatuck, MI in 1931 by Lewis Gotham and
Henry Perkins, the 55 ft. x 14 ft. steam powered vessel was operated by
Gotham until 1935, when a 100-120 Kahlenberg oil engine was installed,
replacing the steam engine. In 1943 the Kahlenberg was removed and put
in a new steel vessel, also built by Gotham with the help of his sons.
Charles Diepenhorst, Saugatuck, bought the B. L. and installed a gasoline
engine. The boat was abandoned in 1954.
BADGER 225316 Built at Manitowoc, by Burger Boat Co., in 1925,
for Arthur Luebke, Two Rivers, Wis. Boat was 55 ft. x 13 ft., equipped
with a 75-90 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. By 1946 Endress Masse Fisheries,
Grand Marais, Mich. had acquired the boat. In 1953 a fire destroyed the
cabin, while it was being rebuilt. At this time the PETER A. was
bought from Anderson Fisheries, Marquette, Mich., and used while the BADGER was made ready. She was later sold to Russell Couture, Ontonagon, Mich.
In 1957 the boat was again sold. Hubert Cloutier, Superior Wis. was in
the process of having the hull sheeted in steel, for use in the marine
construction trade, when the boat was completely destroyed by fire, at
a Superior shipyard.
BADGER A 45 ft. steam powered fish tug owned by Hanson Bros.,
Milwaukee, WI in 1901.
BANTY Owned by F.J. Brown, Munising, Mich. in 1929, size and rig
BARBARA A small gill net boat owned by Martin Christiansen before
he had the Barbara II. The boat was observed laying abandoned at Saxon
Harbor in the 1960s.
BARBARA II 252169 A 40 ft. gill net tug, built at Bessemer, Mich.
in 1947 for Martin Christiansen, and fished by him at Black River Harbor,
Mich. Boat was equipped with a Model D4600 Caterpillar diesel. In 1968
Arthur Kron had the boat at Bayfield, fishing from Harbor Lodge, his property
north of Red Cliff. Kron sold her to Gordon Topel, Oconto, Wis. Topel
then sold her to Hickey Bros., Baileys Harbor, Wis. At this time the boat
had been renamed PATHFINDER. The boat finally ended up at Two Rivers,
Wis., owned by Richard Kusiak. Built with white oak, the hull was always
tarred black, and was sheeted with stainless steel ice iron.
BARNEY DEVINE 236912 Built by Burger Boat Company of Milwaukee in 1937, for Ludlow White, Alpena, Mich; 50 ft. in length and 14 ft. beam, of all-steel construction, with a full-height pilot house with sleeping space for the crew.
White named the boat ALBERT J., but sold her after only three years to the Wisconsin Conservation Department (now Department of Natural Resources) who renamed her after the late Chief Conservation Warden Barney Devine. The boat was intially used for commercial fish enforcement on Lake Michigan, then in 1969 was transferred to the Bureau of Fisheries Management for use as a research vessel. In 2012, the DNR replaced the BARNEY DEVINE with a new vessel, and sold her to Halvorson Fisheries of Cornucopia, Wis.
The boat was originally equipped with a 75-90 Kahlenberg oil engine, but according to an advertisement posted online at the time of the sale, that was replaced in 1972 by a 250 hp Cummins Model NT-335M 6 cylinder turbocharged diesel engine. Other equipment listed included a a Crossley net lifter "believed to have been installed in 1937." VIEW PICTURE
BARK POINT Built at Cornucopia, Wis. in the 1930s by Thomas H.
Jones, Sr., for Uno Okkonen, Herbster, Wis. A 40 ft. gill net tug, equipped
with a 30-36 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. Following its use as a fish boat
it was set up as a summer cottage, on Blueberry Lane, outside Cornucopia,
and is still there.
BEACHCOMBER Owned by C.E. Sittser, Muskegon, Mich. in 1950, size
of boat not known
BEAR 238716 A 40 ft. x 10 ft. wood hulled fish tug built at Suamico,
Wis. in 1939 for Clifford Wenninger, Algoma, Wis. The square sterned vessel
was fully enclosed, with pilothouse aft. Wenninger owned the boat until
1960. Other owners were Fred Milke, Algoma. 1960 - 1965 Amos Anthony,
South Haven, Mich. 1965 - 1977 George Anthony, Traverse City, Mich. 1977
and after. VIEW PICTURE
BEATRICE A. II 58 ft. all-steel gill net boat built by Vermilion
Engineering Co., Vermilion, Ohio., for Russell Appeman, Vermilion. Boat
was styled after Canadian boats, with flush deck and pilot -house well
forward. Powered with a Chrysler Royal gasoline engine, she was reported
capable of a speed of 11 mph. This in 1945.
BEAVER 226196 A 40 ft. gas powered fish tug, built at Marinette,
Wis. in 1926. The vessel was owned by Cliff Wenniger, Algoma, Wis., in
1930. In 1953 Irvin Pulda, Racine, Wis. was owner.
BEAVER 240885 A 37 ft. gas powered fish tug built at Portage Entry,
Mich. in 1941, by Wiinikka Boat Works, for owner, John Kauppi, Gay, Mich.
BEN-HUR 225625 A 37 ft. gas powered fish tug built in 1926 at
Chassell, Mich. for Simon Kalliainen, by Wiinikka Boat Works. The boat
had an open bow deck, and open stern deck, and a rounded-top cabin.
BERNICE D. fish boat, of unknown size, owned by Louis Gamlin,
Marinette, Wis. in 1932.
BERTHA 36 ft. gas powered fish boat owned by Floyd Couture, Port
Huron, Mich. in 1930.
BERTHA G. A 50 ft. steam powered tug built at Saugatuck, Mich.
in 1919. The boat was documented as a tow tug in 1920, but was fished
by Lewis Gotham until 1930.
BERTHA H. 39 ft. gas powered fish boat owned by Ole Hoiland, Cheboygan,
Mich., in 1930
BESSIE LOUISE gas powered fish tug, about 40 ft. in length, owned
by Clarence Maudrie, Naubinway, Mich. in 1930. The boat is among a number
of boats pictured at Duluth, in the mid 1940s.
BETH SUZANNE 237075 A double-ender fish boat, about 35 ft. in
length, built at Bayfield, Wis. in 1935 for John Nelson, equipped with
a Buick engine, the boat was fished by Nelson, and by his son Julian until
he was drafted into the military during WW II, when the boat was sold
to Arve J. Kauppi, Herbster, Wis. VIEW PICTURE
BETSEY Owned by Ray Van Slyke and R. Tondu, Muskegon, Mich. in
1952. Size of boat not known.
BETTY 248994 A 42 ft. by 12 ft. all-steel gill net tug, built
by Burger in 1945 for Anker Greenfeldt, Washington Island, Wis. When built
the boat was equipped with a Chrysler Royal gas engine with 3:1 reduction
gear. At some later time a 45-54 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine was installed.
BETTY C. A 40 ft. fish tug owned by Mike Cull, Jr., St.James,
Mich. Equipped with a 30-36 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. Mr. Cull listed
the boat for sale in 1948.
BEULAH Owned by Arthur Willett, Standish, Mich. in 1931. Size
of boat not known.
BEULAH W. 32 ft. gas powered fish tug, owned by John Leonard and
George Hough, Manistique, Mich. in 1917.
BEVERLY ANN Built in 1950 at Bayfield, Wis. by boatbuilder Frank
Muhlke, a 36 ft. gill net tug, for owner Adolph Bodin, Houghton Pt. Boat
was equipped with a 110 hp. Universal gasoline engine. The boat was sold
and then converted to use as a yacht. It left the Bayfield area quite
a few years ago.
BIG PETER A 45 ft. gas powered fish tug, owned by Mathon Kyritsis,
Waukegan, Ill., in 1937.
BIRD 210262 A 60 ft. steam-powered fish tug built at Manitowoc, WI in 1912, and operated out of Michigan City, Indiana by the Ludwig Fish Co. VIEW PICTURE
BLUE FIN A 32 ft. gas powered fish boat, owned by John Maloski,
Leland, Mich., in 1929.
BLUE FIN Owned by James McDonald, Pentwater, Mich. in 1931. Size
of boat not known.
BLUE JAY 256705 A 35 ft x 11 ft. all-steel fish tug built by Marinette
Marine in 1946, for Tim Lukkonen, Duluth, Minn. Powered with a Chrysler
Crown Gasoline engine. Used mainly as a charter fishing boat during the
summer, and in the herring fishing during late fall, the boat was eventually
sold to fishermen in Michigan, and is presently in the Naubinway, Mich.
area, owned by King Fish Co., and powered with a GM 6-71 diesel.
BOB A 27 ft., fully enclosed, fish tug, owned by Norbert Swaer,
Pensaukee, Wis. in 1947. The boat was powered with a GM 2-71 diesel.
BOB C. Owned by Theodore Graham, South Haven, Mich. in 1931. Size
of boat not known.
BOB Owned by Harry Bradshaw, Phoenix, Mich. in 1931, size and
BOB RICHARD 225934 Built at Manistee, Mich. by Arthur Hanson in
1926 for John and Albert Bjorquist, of Manistee. The 47 ft. x 11 ft. wood
hulled vessel was originally gas powered. In 1930 a 45-54 H.P. Kahlenberg
oil engine was installed. Ownership was taken over by Robert Bjorquist
in 1962 and the vessel was reported scrapped in January of 1976.
BOB S. A 50 ft. x 13 ft. fish tug, built by Peterson Boat Works,
for William Sellman, Manistique, Mich. in 1935. Equipped with a 75-90
hp. Kahlenberg oil engine and compressed air net lifter. In 1961 the boat
was sold to Reuben Peterson, and taken to Harbor Beach, Mich., where it
was operated for a number of years. Reuben's sons, Robert and Jerome,
brought her back to Manistique and fished from there for a number of years.
After sinking at the dock in 1979, she was raised, and then sold to Earl
Maudrie, of St.James, MI . Operated until 1983, the boat was then donated
to the Beaver Island Historical Society, where it remains on display. VIEW
BOBBIE 239136 Built at Bayfield by Evan Christensen,
in 1939 for William Noring, of Sand Island. Boat was about 30 ft. in length,
and equipped with a 2 cyl. 18 hp. Regal gas engine. By the mid 1940s Floyd
Hoopman was owner, followed by Louis [Butts] Peterson, who eventually
re-named the boat UNCLE BUTTS and repowered with a Chrysler Crown
marine gas engine. The boat changed hands several times after that and
is currently sitting ashore at Bayfield. VIEW
BOBBIE Owned by Merrill Hartman, Standish, Mich. in 1931. Size
and rig unknown.
BOBBY BILL 236092 A 60 ft. x 14 ft. wood hulled fish tug, built
in 1936. Originally to have been built on Beaver Island by Ulysses McCann,
the frames were bent there; then there was a change of plans, and all
the material was transported to Manistique, Mich. A Mr. Larsen, from Menominee,
Mich., was hired to then complete the building. For power, the owner,
Alphonsus Sendenburgh, took the 60-70 hp. Kahlenberg from his old boat AGNACE S. Sendenburgh fished the boat at Manistique until 1940
and then sold her to Clkarence Platz, Rogers City, Mich. Platz had ownership
until 1954. The boat was then sold to owners outside the fishing industry.
She was abandoned in 1973.
BOBBY F. A 40 ft. gas powered fish tug, owned by Clifford Fuller,
Pentwater, Mich., in 1950. Boat had a square stern, was fully enclose,
with pilot house aft.
BON JOUR 226206 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1926, for Everett
LaFond, Two Rivers, Wis. A 50 ft. x 13 ft. fish tug powered with a 75-90
hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. Boat had a number of owners in the following
years, including: George Kamalick, Chicago; Clifford Chambers, Holland;
Keith Chambers, Muskegon. Boat was not listed in MVUS after 1959.
BON-LAR An open boat, about 20 ft. in length, owned by Ben Gustafson
during the 1930s, and into the 1940s. Equipped with a Ford Model-A car
motor, and without a net lifter. Boat was used in shallow water fishing
among the islands. After being bought by Gilmore Young, the until-then
unnamed boat was named BON-LAR, for his daughter and son, Yvonne
and Larry. Philip Winslow, Bayfield, was the last owner. The boat was
BONNIE 40 ft fish tug, built at Charlevoix, Mich. in the early
1930s, possibly by Ulysses McCann. In 1939 or 1940 the boat was caught
in the icebergs off Charlevoix; the cabin was smashed, but the hull survived,
and the cabin was rebuilt. In the mid 1940s the boat is pictured at Chicago,
owned by Alice Wiggins, and powered with a Chrysler Crown gasoline engine.
b. 40 ft. fish tug, with diesel power, owned by Chris Furness, Michigan
City, Ind. In1984
BONNIE S 248838 A 52 ft. x 14 ft. all-steel fish tug built in
1945, by Burger Boat Co., for George J. Sewers, Sr., Saugatuck, MI. Equipped
with a 75-90 hp Kahlenberg oil engine. In the 1970s the boat was owned
by Ray Strege, Racine, WI. At present the vessel is at Manistique, MI.,
remamed J.R. JENSEN.
BOSSLER BROS 235854 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1937, for John
Bossler Sons, Port Washington, Wis. An all-steel 50 ft. x 14 ft. fish
tug, equipped with a 75-90 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine and air compressor
to drive the net lifter. In 1965 the boat was owned by Frank Kulpa, Two
Rivers, Wis., and is presently owned by Steve Kulpa, and has been re-powered
with a 250 hp. Cummins diesel.
BREMEN 42 ft. fish tug owned by Bert J. LeClair, Jacksonport,
Wis. in 1942. Boat was fully enclosed with the pilot house over the rounded
stern. Power was with a Chrysler Crown gasoline engine.
BUB .40 ft. in length, and equipped with a 30-36 hp. Kahlenberg
oil engine, this fish tug was owned by Leslie Cornell, Washington Island,
Wis. in 1926. Later owned by Bert LeClair, the boat was owned by Charles
Frans, Manistique, Mich. in 1940. In 1943 the engine was removed and installed
in a new boat then being built.
BUCCANEER Built in 1943, this 40 ft. fish tug was owned by Norbert
Frasch, Two Rivers, Wis. Built of white oak, fully enclosed , with pilot
house amidship; equipped with a 45-54 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine, the boat
was for sale in 1945.
BUDDY L 38 ft. fish tug owned by Joseph M. Arvilla, Charlevoix,
Mich. Equipped with a 100 hp. Cummins diesel, the boat was offered for
sale by Arvilla in 1946.
BUDDY O. 236290 Built at Sturgeon Bay Boat Works in 1935, for
Ole Olson, Frankfort, Mich. A 40 ft. x 12 ft. fish tug, powered with a
30-36 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. In 1941 she was sold to South Haven,
Mich. fisherman Chris Jensen. In 1945 Jensen sold her to Herbert and Niles
Taddy, Two River, Wis., operators. The boat was next owned briefly by
Nial Gates, also of Two Rivers. The boat is presently a part of the displays
at the Rogers Street Fishing Museum there.
BUICK 224135 Built at Marinette, Wis. in 1922 for Torger [Tom]
Engelson, Washington Island, Wis. A steam powered fish tug, 54 ft. x 13
ft. in size. Re-powered in the 1930s with a 75-90 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine,
the boat was fished at Kenosha, Wis. by Engelson Sons. A later owner,
Wallace Chambers, also fished at Kenosha. A picture in the April 1948 The Fisherman magazine shows her ,along with the ELSIE J.
and BUTCH LAFOND,caught in the ice off South Haven, Mich.
BURGER A 90 ft. steam powered fish tug, built by Burger Boat Co.
in 1910, for John Coffey, Manistique, Mich.
BUTCH LAFOND 230377 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1930 for Everett
LaFond, and owned by LaFond-Kreisa Fish Co. 42 ft. x 12 ft. and equipped
with a 50-60 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. Boat was in later years owned
by, among others: Joseph Felbinger, Chicago; Glenn Richter, South Haven;
Philip Olsen, Sault Ste. Marie; Myril Brix, Sr., Milwaukee. Renamed BUTCHIE
B. in 1979. VIEW PICTURE