Fishing Vessels of the
Compiled by Harvey Hadland
C. J. BOS 65 ft. steam powered fish tug owned by
William Ver Duin,
Grand Haven, Mich., in 1931.
C. J. GLADYS A fish boat, of unknown size, owned by
Gills Rock, Wis., in 1930
C & R 278269 Built by T.D. Vinette Co., Escanaba, MI
in 1958 for
Halberg Bros. Fishery, St.Ignace, MI. The 40 ft. steel
hulled fish tug
was equipped with a 4 cyl. D3304 Caterpillar diesel engine.
The boat was
next owned by Joseph Bray, Munising, MI The Bray family had
until late 2003, when they sold her to Jeff McDonald,
WI. McDonald had the vessel trucked overland to Manistique,
MI where she
was launched and then towed to Washington Island. SEE
C. S. ADDISON . A 65-ft. steam powered fish tug
owned by Kishman
Fish Co., Vermilion, Ohio, in 1928.
C. S. ADDISON SR. 226951 A 38 ft. fish tug built at
in 1927 for William A. Addison, Green Bay, Wis. In 1935 the
boat was sold
to George Sewers, Saugatuck, Mich., who had ownership until
she was sold to E.R. Jackson, of Saugatuck. Jackson had the
1959, at which time she was reported as abandoned. Boat was
with pilot house mid-ship and a raised cabin on the stern.
Power was a
30-36 Kahlenberg oil engine.
C. W. BOHMAN . Built at Algoma, Wis. in 1980 by
Charles and Mike
Bohman, and operated from that port. An all-steel 42 ft.
fish tug equipped
with a Murphy diesel. Boat was later sold to Mike LeClair,
Wis. Confiscated by the state of Michigan, in an illegal
the boat was then sold back to another owner in Wisconsin.
C.W. LIND 248986 Built by Sturgeon Bay Shipbuilding
1945 for Clarence W. Lind, Ellison Bay, WI. The 42 ft. all-
tug was equipped with a 45-54 hp Kahlenberg oil engine. Lind
to Giles Peterson, of Ellison Bay, in 1948. The boat was
then renamed KELLY. In May of 2003 the boat was purchased by
Milwaukee, WI and renamed ALICIA RAE.
C. W. TURNER Built in 1900 for S.P. Hogstad Fish
Minn. 55 ft. x 13 ft. boat was equipped with a Kahlenberg
By 1912 Booth Fisheries had acquired her for operation from
Wis. plant, picking up fish from the many fish camps among
Passengers were also carried. In 1923 the gas engine was
a 50-60 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine.
The boat was engaged as a fish tug in the fall herring run.
A net lifter
was installed on the port side. Some very sizeable lifts of
always brought in during the approximately two-week fishery.
In the spring
she was used to set gillnets for the various fishermen
fishing for the
Booth Company. Their later boat, APOSTLE ISLANDS, was
in the herring fishing season.
The boat was last operated in 1937. The next year the cabin
were removed, and the hull towed to Houghton Pt. to form a
in front of the Elmer Bodin Fisheries dock. VIEW
CANVAS BACK Owned by John and Peter Fillstra,
in 1950, size of the boat is not known.
CAPE PIGEON A gas boat of undisclosed size, built
for Albert Bjorquist,
Manistee, Mich. in 1909 and operated until 1926 when it was
a larger diesel powered vessel.
CAPE PIGEON Owned by Albert Balow, South Haven,
Mich. in 1931,
size and rig unknown.
CARLSON BROS. .257582 40 ft. wood fish tug owned by
Port Wing , Wis. Built in Door County, the boat was brought
to Lake Superior,
by Carlson, in the 1940s. Of square stern design, fully
was with a Gray Marine 6-330 gas engine. Boat was sold for
use as a sport-troller,
in the 1970s. VIEW
CAROLINE . A 36 ft. x 9 ft. fish tug owned by John
Milwaukee, Wis. in 1946. Boat was equipped . with a 68 hp
CAROLINE .Built by Peterson Boat Works, in 1935, for
Algoma, Wis. This was the 6th fish tug built by Peterson. 40
ft. x 11
ft. Equipped with a 45-54 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. After
of use the boat was reportedly beached and burned near
Harbor, in Door County.
CAROLINE A 40 ft. gas powered fish tug owned by
Marinette, Wis. in 1946. The boat was of fantail design,
with pilot house aft, and equipped with a Chrysler Crown
CAROLYN 229077 Built at Manitowoc, Wis. by Burger
Boat Co., in
1929 44 ft. x 11 ft. and equipped with a 45-54 hp.
Kahlenberg oil engine.
Boat was first owned by Gus Mollhagen, St.Joseph, Mich.
Later owners were
McCash Bros., Holland, Mich. Boat is presently in the
and owned by James Benson.
CARROLL E. 211356 A 32 ft. gas powered fish boat,
built at Little
Suamico, Wis. in 1913; Listed as being owned by Otto Marks,
in the 1925 MVUS.
CASCADE . 210620 A 30 ft. gas powered fish boat,
built at West
DePere, Wis. in 1905. The 1925 MVUS lists the owner as
Little Suamico, Wis.
CASEY BROS. . 249620 35 ft. x 11 ft. All steel fish
by Marinette+ Marine Corp. in 1946 for Adson Casey,
Fairport, Mich. Equipped
with a Chrysler Crown marine gas engine. In 1949 the boat
was sold to
Frank Gudwer, Brampton, Mich. Gudwer sold her to Norbert
Wis. in 1952. VIEW PICTURE
CASTANET 206238 A 72 ft. x 14 ft. steel hulled,
fish tug, built at Ferrysburg, Mich. in 1909 by Johnston
Owned by Ranney Fisheries, Cleveland, Ohio from 1909 to
1929. In 1929
ownership went to L . Wells Construction Co., Cleveland. The
changed to DONALD WELLS, and the boat is listed as
in 1931. VIEW PICTURE
CASTANET 207940 A 48 ft. x 10 ft. fish tug, built at
Mich. in 1909. In 1925 Powered with a gasoline engine, the
boat is listed
as being owned by Charles Cross, Charlevoix, Mich. in
CASTANET 247940 Built at Bay City, Mich, in 1909,
this gas powered
fish tug was 47 ft. x 10 ft. and listed as being owned by
Charlevoix, Mich., in the 1925 MVUS.
CATARACT 210699 A 32 ft. gas powered fish boat,
built by Burger
in 1906. The 1925 MVUS lists the owner as William C. Green,
Wis. In 1975 Carl Bender, Little Suamico, Wis., was owner.
CATHERINE B. . 200106 A 29 ft. x 8.5 ft. gas powered
built at St. James, Mich. in 1907. The 1925 MVUS lists
Dennis B. Boyle,
St. James, Mich. as the owner.
CATHERINE MARY Owned by Winfield Steinhoff,
Munising, Mich. in
CATHERINE R. . A 40 ft. gas powered fish boat owned
by James Roe,
Harbor Springs, Mich., in 1945.
CAWYASK 209149 26 ft. gas powered fish boat, built
at High Island,
Mich. in 1910, and listed as being owned by Alexander
Mich. in the 1925 MVUS.
CECELIA M. 218995 A 30 ft. x 8 ft. wood hulled
built at West Depere, Wis. in 1914. In 1925 ownership is
listed to Lars
Bilton, Detroit Harbor, Wis. (Washington Island)
CECIL W. 42 ft. steam powered fish tug owned by
Frankfort, Mich., in 1928.
CG A fish tug, about 40 ft. in length, built for
Algoma, Wis., many years ago. Boat had various name changes,
including ALIECE, and ALIECE II. As of 1992 the boat was
and deteriorating, at Rowley Bay, in northern Door County.
CHALLENGER A 34 ft. gas powered fish boat, owned by
Michigan City, Ind., in 1932.
CHAMBERS BROS. 228149 A 52 ft. all-steel fish tug
built by Sturgeon
Bay Shipbuilding,in 1929, for Chambers Bros. Fishery,
Kenosha, Wis. Equipped
with a 60-70 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine, the boat was
converted to trawling
after the decline of the trout fishery. Sold to interests
fishery, the boat is presently at Milwaukee, renamed RECOVERY,
and used for underwater research.
CHAMP 40 ft. fish boat built by Wiinikka Boat Works,
Mich. in 1936 for Frank L. Champion, Grand Marais, Mich. The
equipped with an 85 hp., 6 cylinder Cummins diesel.
CHARLEEN A 42 ft. x 12 ft. all-steel fish tug built
Builders, Sturgeon Bay, Wis. in 1951. In 1974 the boat was
owned by Harold
Goodman, Jr., Waukegan, IL.
CHARLES A. POTTER 60 ft. steam powered fish tug
owned by Geo.
Leidheiser, Vermilion, Ohio, in 1926.
CHARLES FRANK . 225613 54 ft. x 14 ft. wood hulled,
fish tug built at Manistee, MI in 1926 by Ulyses Mc Cann,
Hendricksen, Jr., Charlevoix, MI. In 1928 the steam engine
and replaced with a 100-120 Kahlenberg oil engine. From 1937
to 1942 the
vessel was owned by the estate of Chas. Hendricksen, Jr. It
was then sold
to Frank Sears, Traverse City, MI and converted to use as a
tow tug. The
vessel was abandoned in 1957.
CHARLES G. 24 ft gas powered fish boat, owned by
John S. Hacklander,
Saugatuck, Mich. in 1930.
CHARLES J. . 249581 Built at Marinette Marine Corp.
in 1946, for
Walfred Jamsen, Copper Harbor, Mich. This all-steel fish
tug, 42 ft. x
13 ft. featured a rounded stern, and extremely raked stem.
Power was with
a Model D8800 Caterpillar diesel. In 1983 Jamsen sold the
boat to Philip
Anderson, Kenosha, WI. Anderson renamed her JENNIFER.
later the boat was sold to Michael LeClair, Jacksonport, WI.
the Caterpillar and installed a Cummins diesel. In 1997
changed and the boat renamed CHRISTOPHER ROBIN.
CHARLES K A 34 ft. gas powered fish boat owned by
Kenosha, Wis., in 1930.
CHARLES LOESCH 56 ft. steam powered fish tug owned
by Eugene Loesch,
Erie, Penn., in 1926.
CHARLES M. HYTTEL 244710 A 65 ft. steam powered fish
at Sturgeon Bay, Wis. by Sturgeon Bay Shipbuilding, in 1913.
being owned by Charles M. Hyttel, Sr., Racine, Wis., from
1913 to 1931.
Tom Brown, Whitefish Point, Mich. was the owner during 1931
Bonnie M. Moore, Port Huron, Mich., is listed as owner from
1932 to 1940.
Vessel was abandoned in 1940.
CHARLES P. STRICKER 126898 60 ft. steam powered fish
at Buffalo, N.Y. in 1892. Listed as owned by Betz Lockhart
Fish Co., Au
Sable (Oscoda), Mich. in 1926 MVUS, and Bruce Lockhart,
Oscoda, in 1938
CHARLES W. 261042 A 40 ft. steel hulled vessel,
built by Arnold
Johnson Boat Works, Green Bay, WI in 1950. Charles Wood,
Racine, WI owned
the boat from 1950 to 1965. Roy Buckler, Leland, MI then
boat, changed the name to SEA BIRD II, and owned her
Lorman Greenfeldt, Washington Island, WI had ownership for a
time in the
mid 1970s, Jeffrey Weborg, Gill Rock, WI also was an owner
late 1970s and early 1980s. Duane Peterson, Bayfield, WI
owned the boat
for time, fishing her out of Big Traverse Bay, MI. Gerald
MI bought the boat from Peterson and changed the name to BOYZIE II.
CHARLIE 35 ft. gas powered fish boat, owned by Elmer
Chassell, Mich., in 1926.
CHATTANOOGA 70 ft. steam powered, steel hulled, fish
by Booth Fisheries, Bayfield, Wis. Built in 1910, the boat
at Bayfield until 1935, when it was sold to Couture Bros.,
Ontonagon, Mich. After some time there she sold to a Duluth
CHEERIO 237885 Built by Sturgeon Bay Shipbuilding
in 1935 from a design by Walter W. Haertel. The 40 ft. x 12
hulled vessel was equipped with a 30-36 Kahlenberg oil
on Friday Dec. 13 . Taken to Kenosha Wis. by owner Richard
boat was lost on Jan. 17, 1936 attempting to get back into
a severe northeast blow. The boat foundered in the heavy ice
the Harbor and the entire crew of three, including the owner
Later recovered, the boat had many owners: Theodore F.
1939-1947; Wallace Chambers, South Haven, Mich. 1949-1955;
Montaque, Mich. 1957-1960; Stanley Oronowski, Port Austin,
Stanley Rochefort, Alpena, Mich., 1964-1976; Clifford
Mich. 1977-1980; Waters Edge Marine, Charlevoix, 1981-1989;
Service, Detour, Mich. 1994; South Florida Launch Towing,
Fla. 1999. VIEW
CHEROKEE A 39 ft. x 10 ft. gas boat, owned by Weborg
Ellison Bay, Wis., in 1949.
CHIEF .275653 A 36 ft. x 10 ft. steel hulled fish
tug built by
Peter Mayer, Racine, WI in 1957, and owned by Mayer until
Schoff, Milwaukee, owned the boat during 1961 and 1962.
Petoskey, MI is listed as owner after 1962.
CHIEF 213686 A 52 ft. x 12 ft. fish tug built at
Wis. in 1915. Owned by Charles Vogelheim, Rogers City, Mich.
the boat was powered with a 60-70 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine.
a steam tug, she was converted to gas power in 1926 and to
oil in 1934.
This is the same boat that was later owned by Bethway
Marais, Mich. in the mid 1940s, and later sold to James Roe,
Springs, Mich., and converted to a tow tug. Vessel was
abandoned in 1964.
CHINOOK .Built on Madeline Island in the early 1920s
for use as
a passenger and car ferry. The nearly 50 ft. boat was bought
LaPointe, Bayfield, and put to many uses. First as a fish
buying and supply
boat to the various fish and lumber camps on the islands.
Used in the
herring fishing at Bayfield, and also Duluth; for a few
years she was
used in the pound net fishery, with a pile-driver mounted on
stern. Early power was a Wolverine gasoline motor. In the
1940s a Chrysler
Crown gasoline engine was installed. The boat was burned in
1960s. VIEW PICTURE
CHIPPEWA 24 ft. gas powered fish boat owned by Fred
Mich. in 1948.
CHIPPEWA Owned by George A. Cowell, Munising, Mich.
in 1954, size
of the boat is not known.
CHRISTY fish boat, of unknown size, owned by Russell
Ontonagon, Mich. in 1940.
CHUB Owned by G.J. Tromp, Muskegon, Mich. in 1938,
size of boat
is not known.
CHUM Owned by Olaf Norvick, Muskegon, Mich. in 1934,
size of boat
or type of machinery is unknown.
CINDY MARIE See LINDA
CLARA 34 ft. gas powered fish boat, owned by John
Mich., in 1930.
CLARA A 36 ft. fish tug, owned by Edward Ozga, Port
in 1945. Boat was powered with 30-36 hp. Kahlenberg oil
CLARA C. A 39 ft. fish tug, equipped with a 30-36
oil engine, and owned by Oliver Bjarnarsen, Washington
Island, Wis., in
CLARA LEE Owned by Fred Babcock, Munising, Mich. in
of boat not known.
CLARA MAE double-ender fishing boat, about 35 ft. in
at Bayfield by Oluf Edwards. Ted Bissell, LaPointe, owned
her well into
the 1950s. She was later owned by Clarence Zabawa, Bayfield.
a Buick engine up until 1948, when a Chrysler Crown marine
CLARA Owned by Darling Gillish, Muskegon, Mich. in
CLARA S. 206410 Built at Manitowoc, Wis. by Burger
Boat Co., in
1909 48 ft. x 13 ft. and originally equipped with a 24 hp.
gas engine. In the late 1920s the boat was owned by Thomas
Fayette, Mich., and had a 50-60 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine
for power. Early
owners include: Fred Wilke, Two Rivers, 1910-1917 - Henry
Rivers, 1919-1925 - Peter Jacobson, Escanaba, 1926, and
Fayette, 1927-1944. 1911 MVUS listed as Passenger Service.
CLARE T. . 283839 45 ft. x 12 ft., built by T.D
Mich., in 1960 for Clare Thomas, Unionville, Mich.; rigged
for both trawling
and gillnetting, the stern cabin could be taken off, and
winches and trawl
gear place aft. The original owner's son, Vern Thomas, used
the boat in
marine construction, working for Meagher Construction out of
MI. The boat passed to his children and is now owned and
operated by the
original owner's grandson, Cyril A. Thomas. It is docked at
in Unionville, no longer used for fishing, but as a work
boat and pleasure
CLARENCE Built at Bayfield, Wis. in the 1920s by
for H.C. Elmore Fisheries. Boat was 40 ft. in length and
a gasoline engine. Used in the commercial fishery, the boat
sold to a Duluth firm.
CLARICE A 28 ft.(approx.) fantail fish boat, owned
by Martin Erickson,
Bayfield. Boat was in operation until 1940, when a larger
boat was built
to replace it.
CLARRISSA 30 ft. (approx.) gas powered fish boat
owned by John
Chaffee, Fairport, Mich. in 1929.
CLAUDE L. 223431 A 40 ft. fish tug owned by Warren
Mich. Powered with a 30-36 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. The
boat sank at
the dock in Manistique, Mich. in 1954, was raised and saw
CLAUDE S. A 30 ft. gas powered fish boat, owned by
Washington, Island, in 1945.
CLAYTON F. A 40 ft. gas powered fish boat, owned by
Mackinaw City, Mich., in 1931.
CLEO ANN A 38 ft. gas powered fish boat owned by
Sr., Naubinway, Mich. in 1945.
CLEO M. A fish boat, of unknown size, owned by
Albert Lanno, Cheboygan,
Mich. in 1932.
CLIPPER 38 ft. diesel powered fish tug owned by Paul
Munising, Mich. in 1960.
CLIPPER A 29 ft. gas powered fish tug, owned by
Albert and Walter
Koski, Aura, Mich. In 1945, the boat was equipped with a 95
marine engine, and fished in the Huron Island area.
CLOVERLAND Owned by Ray Adair, Munising, Mich. in
1938, size unknown.
CLYDE C. A 36 ft. gas powered fish boat, owned by
Charlevoix, Mich., in 1944.
COLUMBIA A steam powered fish tug, 85 ft. in length,
Peter Anderson Fisheries, Marquette, Mich. Boat was fished
when they had the PETER A. built at Portage Entry.
COMET 127361 A 52 ft. x 13 ft. ft. steam powered
fish tug, built
at Buffalo, N.Y. in 1899. The vessel was owned by Ed. Olson
Mich., in 1928. She was abandoned in 1933.
COMMOTION ..Originally a pleasure craft, it was
converted to a
fish boat by Harvey Lyle Nourse. Boat was about 30 ft. in
a square stern, powered with a Studebaker car motor. Nourse,
Arthur Potter fished from Rocky Island one spring in the
late 1940s, staying
at the Chris Hadland fish camp.
CONNIE J. 256871 A 35 ft. steel hulled fish tug,
built by Kargard
Boat and Engine Co., Marinette, Wis.,in 1948 for Charles and
Escanaba, Mich. In 1969 the boat was sold to Roger Tallman,
CORNUCOPIA 48 ft. fish tug built at Cornucopia,
Wis., in 1929,
by Thomas H. Jones, Sr. Powered with a 50-60 hp. Kahlenberg
the boat was owned and operated by Andrew Hansen, Cornucopia
when ownership was by his widow, Rosie Hansen. Evald
Heinonen also had
the boat for a time. In 1958 John Greene, Ashland, Wis. was
in 1962 Gerhard Schultz, Ironwood, Mich. had the boat at
Black River Harbor,
Mich., fishing with her briefly. A fire destroyed the boat
shortly after. VIEW PICTURE
CRUSADER II . A 35 ft. gas powered fish boat, owned
by Carl Erickson,
Knife River, Minn., in 1939.
CRYSTAL 202695 A steam powered fish tug built by
Burger Boat Co.,
in 1905. 42 ft. x 10 ft. List of owners include: Edward G.
Milwaukee, 1907-1909; James Sorenson, Detroit Harbor, 1910;
Sawyer, Wis., 1914-1917; Charles Schwartz, Sheboygan, 1919;
Jr., Port Washington, 1921. Not listed in 1925 MVUS.
CUB 234661 A 36 ft. x 11 ft. gill net tug, built at
Wis. in 1936, for Cliff Wenniger, Algoma, Wis. Later owned
Wenniger, and operated as a charter/sport fishing boat. Last
as a gill net boat.
CUCKOO A 52 ft. steam powered fish tug owned by John
Sheboygan, Wis. in 1916.