Fishing Vessels of the
Compiled by Harvey Hadland
E. C. SWAER SON A 40 ft. gas boat, owned by Art Swaer, Pensaukee,
Wis., in 1948.
E.M.B . A 75 ft. steam fish tug owned by Louis Gunderson, Sheboygan,
Wisconsin. circa 1916.
EAGLE .30 ft. x 8 ft. (approx.) Built at LaPointe, Wis. by John
Peterson, and operated by Hagen Bros, John and William, from Big Bay Pt.,
on Madeline Island.
EAGLE 32 ft. x 8 ft. (approx.) Operated out of Bayfield by Uldrick
Frostman until 1947, when it was sold to Phil Holzer and Walter Louko.
After sitting ashore for some time, following Holzer's and Louko's retirement,
the boat was bought by John Sveda, Jr., Cornucopia, and operated until
1972. The boat is presently sitting ashore at Cornucopia. VIEW
EAGLE 256119 A 40 ft. x 13 ft. all steel fish tug built at Muskegon,
Mich. in 1948 by Vernon Kleiner, and owned by Kleiner until 1950, when
it was bought by the fishing partnership of Thill Peterson, Fayette, Mich.
In 1951 the new owners lengthened the boat to 47 ft. This changed the
tonnage from 22 Gr. Tons, 15 Net tons, to 30 Gr. Tons, 24 Net tons. From
1960 to 1977 the boat was owned by Gordon Peterson, Alpena Mich. Phulip
Anderson, then at Lansing, Ill, had the boat during 1977, 1978, and 1979.
Barbeaux Brothers Fisheries, Sylvester Richard, Fayette, Mich. have owned
the boat from 1979 to the present.
EAGLE 31 ft. gas powered fish boat, owned by Andrew Anderson,
Marinette, Wis., in 1928.
EAGLE 36 ft, gas powered fish tug, owned by Tucker Tahaney Fishery,
St.Joseph, Mich. In 1947 the boat was purchased by Damgaard Bros. Fisheries,
EAGLE 46 ft. gas powered fish boat, owned by John Bruszer, Chicago,
EAGLE 55 ft. x 15 ft., built at Milwaukee, Wis., in 1912, a steam
powered fish tug. In 1938 the boat was owned by Earl Couture, Ontonagon,
EAGLE A 35 ft. x 9 ft. gas powered fish tug, built at Portage
Entry, Mich. in 1930, and owned by Arthur A. Tormala, Chassell, Mich.
EAGLE small fish boat, under 30 ft., owned by Ole Hadland, Bayfield,
in the late 1920s and into the 1930s. The boat was still in existence
in the early 1940s, owned by Irving Hadland.
EARLY RISE Owned by Albert Lawson, Muskegon, Mich. in 1929, size
EDDIE ANN A 40 ft. fish tug, equipped with a 30-36 hp. Kahlenberg
oil engine, owned by Martin and Edw. Mathson, Manistique, Mich. in 1952.
EDDIE S. 40 ft. fish tug, equipped with a Kahlenberg oil engine
(size not known) owned by the firm of Bethway McDonald, Grand Marais,
Mich, in 1944.
EDITH J. 248938 52 ft. x 14 ft., built by Burger Boat Co., in
1945, for Martin Jones Sons, Fish Co., Ontonagon, Mich. Equipped with
a 100-120 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. In 1956 the boat was sold to Lawrence
Schweig, Chicago. In the early 1960s Everett Johnson fished the boat for
Schweig, prior to buying her. Johnson changed the name to JULIE ANN,
and after Everett's death his son Eric re-powered with a Cummins diesel
and is still operating out of Port Wing, Wis. VIEW
EDNA A 36 ft. gas powered fish tug, owned by John Settersten,
Marinette, Wis., in 1945.
EDNA C. 30 ft. gas powered fish tug, owned by Edw. Strom, Marinette,
Wis., in 1934.
EDWARD K. A 37 ft. gas powered fish tug, owned by John Chaffee,
Fairport, Mich. in 1929.
EDWARD L. .56 ft. x 14 ft., built at Michigan City, IN, 1n 1928,
by an unknown builder, for Edward Lutz Sons, Michigan City. Equipped with
a 75-90 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. Sold to Arthur Tucker, Benton Harbor,
Mich., in 1942, the boat was re-named IVA T. Sold to H.W. Brackenridge
in 1948, and operated out of Saugatuck , and South Haven, until 1951,
she was next acquired by Lawrence Schweig, Chicago, and re-named EILA
MARIE. Another change of ownership saw the boat re-powered with a
500 hp. diesel, and used as a tug in the marine construction trade.
EEL Owned by A .White, Pinconning, Mich. in 1931.
EGERSUND 34 ft. x 8 ft. (approx.) Built at Cornucopia, Wis. in
the late 1920s, for Carl Ludwigsen, Bayfield, Wis., by Thomas H. Jones,
Sr. With an open stern deck and open bow deck, the fantail boat was a
typical boat for her time. A few years after being built a Ford V8 car
motor was installed. Equipped with a marine reverse gear and water cooled
manifolds. The boat is still in existence, and has had a number of owners,
all in Bayfield. Carl Dahl in the 1940s, Morris Boutin in the 1950s and
early 1960s, followed by Henry Daly, well into the 1980s, followed by
Marvin Morris, and Mike Montano. Carl Dahl had the boat rebuilt, changing
the stern to a square fantail, and also rounding the stem. A Chrysler
Crown marine gas engine was also installed in the early 1940s. VIEW
EIGEROY (Eiger Island). Owned by Carl Ludwigsen before he had
the EGERSUND, and then sold to Ever Bodin,
Bayfield. About 30 ft. in length, with a fantail stern. Bodin re-named
the boat MARGARET, and operated with it until he built a built
a larger boat, some time in the early 1930s. New owners then had the boat
completely rebuilt, and operated it as a charter troller until the late
EILA MARIE 56 ft. x 14 ft., built as the EDWARD L, at Michigan
City, IN, 1n 1928, by an unknown builder, for Edward Lutz Sons, Michigan
City. Equipped with a 75-90 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. Sold to Arthur
Tucker, Benton Harbor, Mich., in 1942, the boat was re-named IVA T.
Sold to H.W. Brackenridge in 1948, and operated out of Saugatuck , and
South Haven, until 1951, she was next acquired by Lawrence Schweig, Chicago,
and re-named EILA MARIE. Another change of ownership saw the boat
re-powered with a 500 hp. diesel, and used as a tug in the marine construction
ELANOR A 36 ft. x 10 ft. steam powered fish tug, built at Marinette,
Wis. in 1904. In 1938 the boat was owned by Vernon Anderson, Munising,
ELEANOR 50 ft. x 13 ft., built at Naubinway, Mich.,in 1927,by
Henry Vincent, for William Sellman, Manistique, Mich. Equipped with a
75-90 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. Sold to Ray Adair, Munising, Mich. in
1935, the boat operated there until Dec. 1950 when she was run on the
rocks at Wood Island, during a snowstorm the boat was caught in the rocks
to the extent it could not be gotten off, or salvaged. As Clarence Sellman
was so often heard to say about old boats, "That was the end of her." VIEW PICTURE
ELEANOR B. Built as the EWIG II at
Peterson Builders, Sturgeon Bay, Wis., in 1950, for Ewig Bros, Port Washington,
Wis. The 50 ft. all-steel tug was equipped with a 75-90 hp. Kahlenberg
oil engine. In 1966 the boat was sold to Morris Boutin, Bayfield, Wis.,
and renamed JEAN MAUR B. In 1985 Boutin sold her to Lawrence
Schweig, Chicago, and this time renamed SEEKER. Schweig re-powered
with a 250 hp. Cummins diesel. In April, 2002, the boat returned to Bayfield,
purchased by Morris Boutin's grandson, Craig Hoopman. Hoopman changed
the boat's name to ELEANOR B. in honor of his grandmother, the
late Mrs. Morris Boutin. VIEW PICTURE
ELEANORA A 37 ft. gas powered fish boat, owned by August Lasanen,
Grand Traverse Bay, Mich. in 1925.
ELINORA Owned by Ed. Payne, Standish, Mich. in 1931. Size of the
boat is not known.
ELIZA A. Owned by Geo. J. Jedlicka, South Haven, Mich. in 1931.
ELIZABETH ANN See SOUTH TWIN
ELIZABETH G. 33 ft. x 10 ft. gas boat owned by John Gallager,
ELIZABETH G. A 57 ft. steam powered fish tug owned by Louis L.
Olson, Sheboygan, Wis. circa 1916.
ELK A 33 ft. gas powered fish boat, built by Otto Niemi and Alfred
Kangas, Grand Marais, Mich., in 1923. Equipped with a Fordson Tractor
engine, the boat was fished for 17 years by Kangas Sons. Then all the
equipment was removed and put in a newboat, also built by Otto Kangas.
ELLA J. Owned by W.W. Johnston, South Haven, Mich. in 1931.
ELLA W. 32 ft gas powered fish boat, owned and operated by Martin
and Gottfrid Holmberg, Manistique, Mich. in 1917.
ELLEN P. 228534 A 40 ft. x 11 ft. wood hulled fish tug built by
Henry Vincent, at Naubinway, Mich., in 1929, for Benjamin Perkins, Naubinway.
Perkins owned the boat, equipped with a 45-54 hp Kahlenberg, until 1941,
when it was bought by George and Swerra Ellefson, and fished out of Kenosha,
Wis., for the next seven years. From1949 to 1957 the boat was owned by
William, Louis, and John Baker, Waukegan, Ill, and renamed BAKER BROS.
From 1957 to 1960, Thomas Johnson, Waukegan, had the boat. In 1960 Irwin
Pulda, Racine, Wis. Bought her and operated with until 1964. The boat
still had the original Kahlenberg engine, but the hull had been covered
with steel with welded seams. From 1964 to 1973 the boat was owned by
Grace Orlando, Milwaukee, Wis., and from 1973 to 1975 by Arthur Eslinger,
Sheboygan Falls, Wis. By this time the name had been changed to KELLY
SUE II. The last owner of record is Henry Breed, Oconto, Wis., in
ELSA M. A 52 ft. steam tug owned by Allen Bros. Fishery, Kewaunee,
WI in 1929.
ELSIE J. 249094 48 ft. x 13 ft., built by Burger Boat Co., in 1945, for Chris Jensen, South Haven, Mich. As of 2014, the boat is still equipped with its original 75-90 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine, and remains at South Haven, where Bob Jensen, grandson of the original owner, and his wife Kathy use it for scenic cruises and charter operations. More information about this unique example of adaptive reuse can be found at their web site, www.jensencharters.com. VIEW PICTURE
ELSIE NELL steam powered fish tug, 62 ft. x 16 ft., built in Sturgeon
Bay, Wis. in 1901. Owned by Richard Smith, Waukegan, Ill. In 1912, and
later by Sollie Boutin Fisheries, Bayfield, Wis.
EMMA B. 41 ft. gas boat, owned by Edward Matthews, Oscoda, Mich.
ENERGY 233896 48 ft. x 13 ft., built of steel, in 1934, at Kenosha,
Wis., by Kenosha Boiler Structural Co., from a design by Walter W. Haertel,
for fishermen, Tom and George Johnson. Powered with a 100 hp. Bolinder
diesel, the Johnsons operated with the boat until 1940. Then bought by
Steve Ceskowski, Waukegan, the boat was re-powered with a 60-70 hp. Kahlenberg
oil engine. Another owner, Joseph Koss, Milwaukee, re-powered again, with
a Cummins diesel, converted to trawling for a time, then selling the boat
to Lorman Greenfeldt, Washington Island. John Defoe, Bayfield, was the
next owner, fishing for just a few years. Cecil Peterson then acquired
her, and is still the owner. VIEW PICTURE
ENGA 40 ft. gas powered fish boat, owned by John Nordrum, Charlevoix,
Mich. in 1930.
ENTERPRIZE II 538240 A 36 ft., square stern fish boat, built at
Houghton, Mich. John Sveda, Jr., Cornucopia, Wis., bought the boat there
in 1971, fished with it until about 1980, then sold her to Joseph Duffy
and Ben Gustafson, Bayfield. Again sold, to Pero Bros., Odanah, Wis.,
the boat was operated out of the Keweenaw Upper Entry, and Eagle Harbor,
in Michigan. The boat is presently sitting ashore, abandoned, at Bayfield.
ERMA O. 49 ft. x 12 ft. steam powered fish tug, built at Benton
Harbor, Mich. in 1916. In 1938 the boat was owned by Raymond F. Hinz,
ESCAPADE Owned by William Marchido, Muskegon, Mich. in 1940.
ESTELLA B. Owned by J.D. Williams Sons, Standish, Mich. in 1931,
size not known.
ESTHER 36 ft. x 10 ft., built at Marinette, Wis., in 1936, by
boat-builders, Ole Knudsen and Knute Olson. The boat was bought by Henry
Johnson, Sr., Bayfield, in the early 1940s. Equipped with a Buick car
engine, Johnson fished chubs and herring with her for a few years, selling
the boat to Orville Powers, Bayfield, in the mid 1940s. Powers installed
a Chrysler Crown engine, removed the stern pilot house, and built a pilot
house mid-ship. Some time in the mid 1950s the stern was again enclosed,
and the mid-ship house removed. In the mid 1960s Powers sold to Earl Russell,
Bayfield. In 1998 the boat was junked, after sitting ashore at Bodin Fisheries,
for at least 10 years. VIEW PICTURE
ESTHER C. .40 ft. x 11 ft. and equipped with a 30-36 hp. Kahlenberg
oil engine, owned and operated by George Kolbeck, Algoma, Wis. in the
1930s and into the 1940s.
ETHEL E. Owned by J.D. Williams Sons, Standish, Mich. in 1931,
size of boat is not known.
ETTA A 34 ft. gas boat operated by Roy Firestone and Claude Koapke,
Leland, Mich. in the 1920s.
EVANOW BROS. 40 ft. x 11 ft.(approx.) Built at Cornucopia, Wis.,
in the early 1940s, by William and Anthony Evanow. Of fantail design,
with pilot house on the stern, and equipped with a Chrysler Crown marine
engine. Anthony Evanow fished just a few years, then moved to Crescent
City, CA., where he continued fishing. Morris Boutin then bought the boat,
and operated with it until 1965. Sold to an owner at Duluth, the boat
then went to the bottom, and was abandoned.
EVELYN BISSELL A 40 ft. wood hulled fish tug, owned by Ray Adair,
Munising, MI in 1951. Equipped with a Buda diesel, the boat was bought
by Adair to replace the 50 ft. ELEANOR, lost on the rocks at Wood
Island, off Munising, in the fall of 1950. The boat was observed laying
abandoned at Rockport, north of Alpena, MI in the spring of 1967. The
Buda diesel was still in the boat, the net lifter was there, and the roller
was out over the rail. She appeared to have been there for some time.
EVELYN C. SMITH 226023 48 ft. x 13 ft., built of steel by Burger
Boat Co., in 1926, for Smith Bros. Fisheries, Port Washington, Wis. Listed
in MVUS as a gas powered fish boat when built. By the early 1930s a 60-70
hp. Kahlenberg oil engine had been installed. Owners in later years include:
Gus Koulentis, J.K. Anderson, Loretta V. Anderson, Mary Slupik. In 1945
the name was changed to STELLA.
EVELYN J. 36 ft. diesel powered fish boat, owned by Joseph Jacobi,
Chicago, Ill, in the 1930s.
EVELYN N. A steam powered fish tug, 50 ft. x 14 ft., built at
Naubinway, Mich. in 1923. In 1938 the boat was owned by Nellie Martin,
EVELYN N. Owned by Mads Nielsen, Muskegon, Mich. in 1934.
EVELYN S. ..50 ft. x 13 ft., built by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works,
in 1939, for William Sellman, Manistique, Mich., and equipped with a 75-90
hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. In 1943 the boat was sold to Haakon and Charles
Anderson, Frankfort, Mich. Fishing until 1952, they sold her to a Muskegon
towing company. The boat is presently at a museum in South Haven, Mich. VIEW PICTURE
EVELYN S. 39 ft. gas boat, owned by Louis Sheridan, Glen Arbor,
Mich. in the 1930s.
EWIG Built at Peterson Boat Works, in 1937, for Ewig Bros, Port
Washington, Wis. The 50 footer was equipped with a 150 hp. Buda diesel.
At a later date the Buda was replaced with a 60-70 hp. Kahlenberg oil
engine. In 1938 the boat was equipped with a marine radiotelephone, the
first such equipment on a fish boat in that area.
EWIG II See ELEANOR B.