Fishing Vessels of the
Compiled by Harvey Hadland
OLUF MECHALSON 249803 Built by Marinette Marine Corp., the stock
35 ft. x 11 ft. all steel vessel was owned by Ralph Mechalson, Marinette.,
and equipped with a Chrysler Crown marine gas engine. Mechalson had the
boat until 1951, when it was sold to William Wiita, Lake Linder, MI. In
1964 Wiita sold her to Eino Kaikkunen, Calumet, MI. In 1967 the boat went
to Andrew Jarve, Gay, MI. VIEW PICTURE
OLD GLORY Built at Bayfield right after WW II by Joseph and Erwin
LeBel, for Wilfred (Manny) Boutin, The 44 ft. x 11 ft. vessel was initially
equipped with a 30-36 Kahlenberg oil engine, bought from John Cross, at
Charlevoix. After a few years new 45-54 Kahlenberg was installed. Manny
fished the boat until some time in the early 1960s, then sold to his brother
Allison. By 1968 the boat was abandoned at the local boat yard, and eventually
burned after the engine and net lifter had been removed. VIEW
OLE H. 246613 A 42 ft. x 9 ft. wood hulled fish tug built at Cheboygan,
MI in 1944. From 1944 to 1959 the boat was owned by Ole Hoiland, Cheboygan
MI, from 1959 to 1973, by John Hoiland, Cheboygan. From 1973 to 1975 Alex
White, Cheboygan, was owner. Stanley Rochefort, Alpena, MI is listed as
owner after 1975.
OLE Owned by Adam Detloff, Waukegan, Illinois, in 1930, the 30
foot vessel was powered by a gasoline engine.
OLIVER H. SMITH Built by Kewaunee Shipbuilding and Engineering
Corp. in 1944 for Smith Bros. Fisheries, Port Washington. The 52 ft. x
14 ft. all steel vessel was equipped with a 165 hp. GM 6-71 diesel engine
turning a 36 x 34 three blade wheel through a 3:1 reduction gear. After
a number of years the GM was replaced with a Cummins diesel. Smith later
sold the boat to Leif Weborg. The boat is presently owned by Andrew LaFond
Son Fishery, Algoma, Wis.
ORAL 270918 Built at Muskegon, Mich. in 1955 by Richard Petersen,
the 40 ft. x 10 ft. all steel vessel was initially equipped with a 30-36
Kahlenberg oil engine; Owned and operated by The Petersen Fishery, the
boat was later re-powered with a D880 Caterpillar diesel. Sold to Lance
Kaeding, Michigan City, Ind. The boat was again re-powered. Bought by
Mark Montano, Bayfield, Wis. in 1998, and trucked from Indiana, the boat
was equipped with a GM 6-71 diesel. VIEW PICTURE
OSPREY 238107 Built at Portage Entry, Mich. in 1938, by Wiinikka
Bros. Boat Works, for Clifford V. Rempela, Big Traverse Bay; the 35 ft.
x 10 ft. vessel was equipped with a 90 hp. gasoline engine.
OSPREY Built at Erie, PA in 1921, the 64 ft. x 15 ft. steam powered
vessel was owned by John Hollander, Harbor Beach, Mich. in 1938.
OWL An 18 ft. gas boat owned by Albert Tatrow, Garden, MI in 1929.