Fishing Vessels of the
Compiled by Harvey Hadland
L. L. A fishing vessel owned by Oswald Anderson,
L.P. HILL 249636 .Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1946,
l. Hill, Grand Haven, Mich., the 60 ft. x 15 ft. all steel
equipped with a 100-120 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. Hill
owned the vessel
until 1961, when he sold to Charles E. Lixie Port Huron,
Mich. MVUS lists
the next owners; Richard McNab, Muskegon, 1969-1974; Keith
1975-1981; Lawrence Schweig, Chicago, 1982-1985. Chambers re-
a 250 hp. Cummins diesel, and converted her to a research
restored her as a gill netter and she was subsequently lost
on Lake Michigan
in December 1985. VIEW PICTURE
LA BELLE 235733 .Built by Burger Boat Co., in 1936,
W. Brown, Whitefish Point, Mich., 50 ft. x 13 ft, the all
was equipped with a 90-120 hp. Hill diesel engine rated at
At 675 r.p.m. the boat attained 11 miles an hour, consuming
4 gallons of fuel per hour. The boat has been owned by the
it was built. In 1949 the Hill diesel was replaced with a
D333 diesel, rated at 120 hp. Since 1989 the boat has been
of the water at Whitefish Point. VIEW PICTURE
LA BLANCE .Built by Marinette Marine Corp., in 1947,
LaBlance Sons, Charlevoix, Mich. The 35 ft. x 11 ft. all-
was equipped with a Chrysler Crown gas engine. Later owned
by Jim Petersen,
Muskegon, Mich., the boat was re-named BARBARA, and re-
powered with a
diesel.(make of engine unknown.)
LADY GRACE A 22 ft. open boat owned by Fred A.
Wis. during the 1920s. Hansen fished from Sand Island, his
LADY ISABEL 249652 .Built at Manitowoc, Wis., in
1907, the wood
hulled vessel was 43 ft. x 10 ft. and equipped with a gas
was first listed in MVUS in 1949 with Official Number
249652. Owners listed
are; George Jepson, Marquette, 1940-1948; Orville Adams,
Thomas Poynter, Kearsarge, 1979; and Richard Zaleski,
LADY MARIE 38 ft. x 11 ft. vessel owned by Louis
Wis. in the 1930s. The vessel was equipped with a 20-24 hp.
LAFOND ..Built by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works in 1929
for George LaFond
Sons, Algoma, Wis. The 42 ft. x 12 ft. vessel was equipped
with a 45-54
Kahlenberg oil engine. Operated until 1940 at Algoma, Son
out his father and moved to Milwaukee. In 1944 the boat was
sold to Mike
Cull of Muskegon, Mich. Following that there were several
in the Muskegon area.
LANGLOIS .Built at Manitowoc, Wis., in 1911, the 55
ft. x 13 ft.
steam powered vessel was owned by John G. Muntinga, Racine,
Wis., in 1938.
LARK 229212 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1929, and
owned by John
Schilbauer, Kewaunee, Wis. in the 1930s and into the mid
1940s. The 34
ft. x 9 ft. vessel was equipped with a 20-24 hp. Kahlenberg
LAURIS C. . 280956 Built by T.D. Vinette Co.
in 1958, for Christenson Bros. Fishery, Marquette, Mich. The
43 ft. x
13 ft. steel hulled vessel was originally equipped with a
Model DCMR 468
Buda diesel. In 1968 the boat was sold to Frazier Bros.,
Fished as a gill-netter for a number of years, the boat was
with a Cummins diesel. Still later the boat was converted to
and again re-powered, this time with a V8 Perkins diesel.
LECLAIR BROTHERS. 236906
.Built by Burger
Boat Co., in 1937, for Howard J. and Edward LeClair, Two
The 42 ft. x 13 ft vessel was equipped with a 50-60 hp.
engine. Leif Weborg, Milwaukee, bought the boat in 1960,
changed the name
to LINDA E., and repowered with a Cummins diesel. On
Dec. 11, 1998
the boat was rammed and sunk by a tug-barge off Port
Weborg and his two crewmen were lost in the accident, which
was not solved
until the boat was located almost two years later.
LEILA C. Built by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works, in 1928,
H. Cornell, Washington Island. The 40 ft. x 12 ft. vessel
with a 30-36 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. Four weeks after
the boat was sunk in a collision with a steamboat of the
Reported value of the boat was $8000.
LELAND 207778 A 30 ft. x 10 ft. wood hulled fishing
at Leland MI in 1906. There is no record of ownership. The
off of Leland on Dec. 20, 1916.
LELOND LaFOND 246802 Built by Kewaunee Shipbuilding
Corp, in 1944, for Lelond LaFond, Milwaukee, Wis., the 52
ft. x 14 ft.
all steel vessel was equipped with a Model ME Murphy diesel
150 hp. at 1200 r.p.m. The engine has a 6 bore and 6
stroke and through
a 3;1 reduction gear, swings a 46 x 40 three blade
propeller. The boat
is still in the LaFond family, owned by Andy LaFond, Algoma,
is still powered with the original diesel engine. VIEW PICTURE
LEO Owned by George Senecal, Muskegon, MI in 1940.
LEON J. .249615 Built by Marinette Marine Corp. in
1946, for Charles
Coates, Gladstone, MI. In 1949 Melvin Jacobson, Wells, MI
boat, and had ownership until 1954. From 1954 to 1956 Roy
MI was the owner. The 35 ft, all steel vessel was equipped
with a 115
hp. Chrysler Crown gas engine. Alfred Nordstrand, Alpena, MI
the boat in 1956 and had her lengthened to 43 ft., and
equipped with a
4 cylinder Cummins diesel. In 1971 Emerald LeBlance, Gouli
had the boat at Mamainse Harbor, on Lake Superior, and had
with a Perkins diesel. The boat was reported sold to a
in 1973 and taken out of documentation. In 1979 the boat
came back to
the U.S. and was owned by Norman Casey, Fairport, MI., and
was again re-powered,
with a Cummins 555 cu. in. displacement (triple nickel)
diesel. The stern
pilot house was removed, and a new one built over the engine
later she was at Kewaunee, Wis. In 2000 the boat was cut up
LEONA G. 228675 .Built at Northport, Mich., in 1928,
the 35 ft.
x 11 ft. steam powered vessel was owned by Harry L. Orr,
LEONARD A fish-boat owned by John Gallagher,
Munising, Mish. In
1929.Size not known.
LEORA A fishing vessel owned by A.R. Adair,
Munising, MI, in 1929.
LESTER H. SMITH See HENRIETTA MARGARET
LESTER K. 56 ft. x 14 ft. fishing vessel, owned by
Co., Vermilion, Ohio, in the 1940s, and equipped with a 60-
70 hp. Kahlenberg
LEWIS DONALD A 50 ft. steam powered fishing vessel,
owned by John
Howard, Alpena, Mich., in 1929.
LIBERTY 233170 Built at Cornucopia, Wis., in 1934
for Waino Wilson,
by Thomas H. Jones, Sr. The 45 ft. vessel was equipped with
a 150 hp.
Cummins diesel in the 1940s. After being converted to a dive
boat by an
individual from Minneapolis, the boat was idle for a time,
by Eugene Shelley, Bayfield, and put back into use as a gill
The boat is presently owned by Joseph Duffy and Ben
LIBERTY Built on Madeline Island in the early 1920s,
the 50 ft.
gas boat was first used to tow barge-loads of logs from
Russell Bay, on
Madeline, to Ashland. It also towed a barge, with a capacity
of one car,
between LaPointe and Bayfield. J.M. Gordon, Bayfield, did
the islands for a number of years, and after sitting ashore
for a time
the boat was acquired by Laurie Nourse, Sr. and used in the
fishing trade. The fantail was shortened by 3 ft. By 1965
the boat had
been ashore at Salmo for some time, and was a total wreck.
It was eventually
burned. VIEW PICTURE
LIBERTY 206895 .Built at Manitowoc by Henry B.
Burger, Jr. 1909,
for Edward G. Tews, Jr., Milwaukee. The 50 ft. x 13 ft. wood
was powered with steam. Tews owned the boat from 1909-1912;
Milwaukee, from 1913-1920; Michigan Materials Co., Muskegon,
Materials Co., Chicago, 1925-1945 The MVUS for 1946 lists
the vessel abandoned.
Except for the first few years it appears the boat was in
the towing and
construction trade almost exclusively.
LIBERTY 217377 Built at St.James, Mich., in 1918,
the 44 ft. x
11 ft. vessel was steam powered, and in 1938 was owned by
Harold G. McCann,
LILLIAN A. A 44 ft. steam powered fishing vessel,
owned by Geo.
C. Abbott, Northport, Mich., in 1926.
LILLIAN C. 55 ft. steam powered fishing vessel,
owned by Robert
Cooper, Frankfort, Mich., in 1929.
LILLIE B. 235149 Built at Waukegan, IL in 1935 by
Steve Ceskowski and Fred Alferds,
the 55 ft. x 14 ft. steel hulled vessel was equipped with a
Kahlenberg oil engine. According to Steve Ceskowski,
grandson and namesake of the builder, "The Lillie B.'s 100-
120 Kahlenberg was installed by Steve Ceskowski, a Kahlenberg tech,
and "Slim" Clifford of Larsen's Boatyard in Waukegan before
the pilothouse was completed and installed. Steve Ceskowski and Fred
Alferds ran the LILLIE B. until they dissolved their
partnership and sold her to Tom and George Johnson." The
Johnsons, of Waukegan, Ill., purchased
the boat in 1940, replacing their ENERGY. The Johnsons owned
her until 1956, when the boat was sold to Guilford W.
IL., converted to a towing tug and renamed G.W.
FALCON. VIEW PICTURE
LILLY K. 203029 Built at Manitowoc, Wis., in 1905,
the 35 ft.
x 9 ft. steam powered, and in 1926 was registered as being
owned by Laura
Paulson, Manistique, Mich. In 1929 the boat was owned by
Manistique, powered with a gas engine, and listed as being
39 ft. in length.
Also cited as an owner is Walter Gramer, Marinette. In 1939
the boat was
sold to Edwin Peterson, LaPointe, Wis.
LILY MAY 252012 Built at Bayfield
in 1946 for
E. Theodore Nies, Bayfield, by Frank Muhlke; the 40 ft.
vessel was equipped
with a 120 hp. Graymarine Model 6-330 gas engine. In the
late 1960s the
boat was owned by Soren Peterson, and operated by Reuben
acquired by Jack Erickson, the boat was re-powered with a GM
re-named DONNA BELLE, and is presently operated by
Erickson. VIEW PICTURE
LINDA 36 ft. Diesel powered fishing vessel, owned by
Co., Vermilion, Ohio, in 1985.
LINDA E. See LECLAIR
LINDA JEAN 261667 A 40 ft. x 10 ft. steel hulled
fish tug built
at Green Bay, WI in 1950. The vessel was owned by William
MI until 1961. From 1961 to 1974 Herbert Matson, St. Ignace,
MI was the
owner. After 1974 Seaway Serevices, Duluth, MN had the
vessel at Detour,
MI as a pilot boat.
LINDA MAE 293513 .Built by T.D. Vinette Company,
in 1963, for George Stark, Cornucopia, Wis. The 38 ft. x 13
hulled vessel was equipped with a 120 hp. Graymarine Model 6-
330 gas engine.
The boat was trucked to Cornucopia, and passed through
Bayfield the day
President John Kennedy was assassinated. In the late 1960s
the boat was
sold to James Erickson, Bayfield, re-named CINDY
MARIE, and re-powered
with a GM 6-71 diesel. In 1998 Dean Halvorson, Bayfield,
bought her from
Erickson. VIEW PICTURE
LINDA Owned by Rudolph Nahrgang, Muskegon, Mich. in
LINDY 227428 Built at Sturgeon Bay, in 1927,by Hans
Alick Johnson Sons, Ellison Bay, Wis., the vessel was 39 ft.
x 10 ft.
and equipped with a 30-36 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. In 1944
moved to Port Wing, Wis. In 1951 Norman and Harris Johnson
took the boat
to the Gulf of Mexico and fished there for a short time. The
sold to Robert Loveall, Pensacola, Fla., in 1952 and is
listed in MVUS
as being abandoned in 1963.
LINK, A. M. 212338 A 47 ft. x 13 ft. wood hulled
fish tug built
at Charlevoix, MI in 1914. There Is no record of ownership.
In 1937 the
vessel was converted to oil, and abandoned in 1944
LITTLE DIPPER 24 ft. gas boat owned by Roy N. Wood,
City, Mich., in 1947.
LIZA JANE Owned by Fred Matson, Munising, MI in
1954. Size of
vessel is not known.
LLOYD M. 75 ft. steam powered vessel owned by John
St.Joseph, Mich., in 1926.
LOIS MARIE 245090 Built by Peterson Boat Works, in
1943, for Charles
Frans and Helmer Norbotten, Manistique, Mich., the 40 ft.
vessel was equipped
with a 30-36 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. Eventually acquired
Fisheries, Muskegon, Mich., the boat has been sitting ashore
for a number
of years, stripped of its engine and cabin.
LOLA Built at LaPointe, by Ed Valle, in the mid
for the passenger trade, the 49 ft. vessel was bought by
taken to Bayfield, and redesigned as a fish tug. The cabin
and pilot house,
built by Henry Aiken, was retained for the entire life of
the boat. After
having many owners, the boat was burned at the foot of Broad
1968. The many owners included, H.W. Elmore, Sam Hahn, Fred
Meyers, and the last owner, Wilfred Peterson. VIEW
LONE EAGLE 235714 Built by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works,
in 1936, for
Clyde and Harvey Olson, Ellison Bay, Wis., the 40 ft. x 12
was equipped with a 30-36 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. Harvey
the boat until 1971, when it was sold to Peter Gerhart,
LORENA 40 ft. gas boat owned by John LaFond, Two
LORRAINE 44 ft. x 11 ft. vessel, owned by Anderson
Mich., in the 1940s, and equipped with a 30-36 hp.
Kahlenberg oil engine.
LORRAINE K. . 227011Built at Portage Entry in 1927,
the 35 ft.
x 10 ft. vessel was equipped with a gas engine, and owned by
LOTUS A fish-boat owned by Lewis C. Powell,
Munising, MI, in 1938.
Size of boat is not known.
LOUIS A fishing vessel owned by Basil Bell,
Standish, MI, in 1931.
Size not known.
LUCILLE 26 ft. gas boat, owned by Patrick Holland,
Mich., in 1930.
LUCILLE H. 222611 A 48 ft. x 12 ft. wood hulled
built at Charlevoix, MI in 1922 for Robert Hendricksen,
1923 to 1950 she was owned by Rasmus Hendricksen,
Charlevoix, MI. Originally
equipped with a 3 cylinder, heavy-duty Fairbanks-Morse
in 1946 Hendrickson re-powered with a 150 hp., 6 cylinder
with a 3:1 reduction gear. From 1950 to 1953 Clare Usher,
MI had the boat. From 1953 to the present Ralph Cross, Cross
MI has been the owner. This was one of the first wood hulls
steel, with welded seams.
LYCORA 210367 Built at Buffalo, N.Y. in 1912, the 75
ft. x 16
ft. steel hulled vessel was steam powered. From 1912 to 1924
she was owned
by Ranney Fish Co., Cleveland OH., from 1925 to 1932 by
Alpena, MI., from 1936 to 1940 by Alpena Fisheries, Alpena,
vessel was converted from gas to steam in 1916. In 1940 she
was sold to
LYNA L. Owned by Robert H. Leitch, Muskegon, MI in
of vessel is not known.