Fishing Vessels of the
Compiled by Harvey Hadland
P & P A 40 ft. gas boat owned by Reuben Peterson and Manning
Popour, Manistique, MI in 1942.
PAL Built at Omena, Mich. in 1938, by the Johnson Boat Yard, for
Frank Larsen, Pentwater, Mich. The 38 ft. x 10 ft. vessel was equipped
with a 90 hp. Kermath gasoline engine. In 1944 the boat was sold to Daniel
Loncar, Pentwater. In 1947 the boat and entire crew were lost in a fire
and explosion while lifting nets off Pentwater. When the outside end of
the chub gang was lifted, by a local boat, the last end came up burned
PALMER 227024 Built by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works in 1926 for Alfred
P. Shellswick, Waukegan, Ill. The wood hulled vessel was 47 ft. x 13 ft.
and equipped with a 45-54 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. Shellswick fished
with her until after having the AL SHELLSWICK built in 1935. The
crews much preferred to work on the newer boat, and in time the PALMER was laid up at an inlet on Washington Island. Later brought out and bought
by new owners, the boat spent many years at Racine, owned for a time by
Robert Strege. By then the Kahlenberg had been replaced with a Cummins
diesel. VIEW PICTURE
PAMELA KAY A 38 ft. all steel fish tug equipped
with a 220 hp. Cummins diesel, operated out of Milwaukee by Daniel Anderson.
In 1985 the boat was purchased by Joe Newago, Jr., LaPointe, Wis. and
was re-named NOREE JO. VIEW PICTURE
PANSY A 26 ft. gas boat owned by Joseph Papineau, Port Sanalac,
Mich. in 1928.
PANTHER A 36 ft. gasoline powered fish boat owned by Peter Jensen,
Garden, Mich. in 1936.
PATRICIA 234200 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1905, the 37 ft. x
10 ft. vessel was equipped with a gasoline engine of 60 hp. There is no
listing of ownership until MVUS 1936, and the Official Number does not
match year of build. Allen Bierck, Milwaukee is the owner during 1936-1937
and Caroline Bierck, Alpena, MI is owner from 1938-1944. Boat is not listed
in MVUS after 1945.
PATTY ANN A fish boat of unknown size, owned by Roy J. Cargill,
Munising, MI in 1938.
PAUL JENSEN 241891 Built at Muskegon, Mich. in 1942 by the owner,
Paul Jensen, the 40 ft. x 12 ft. wood hulled vessel was equipped with
a 30-36 Kahlenberg oil engine. When Jensen had a new steel boat built
in 1946 she was sold to Wakild Fisheries South Haven, and re-named WAKILD
BROS. In early 1947 the boat was sold to Otis and Warren Freitag of
Kenosha, and re-named FREITAG BROS. and operated by them out of
PAULINE A 28 ft. gas boat owned by Lawrence Hahnkuper, Washington
Island, Wis. in 1930.
PAULINE A 40 ft. steam powered fish boat owned by Peter Truckey,
St.Ignace, Mich. in 1938.
PEARL A fish boat owned by Wesley Ward, Munising, MI in 1931
PEGGIE MARIE A 40 ft. x 11 ft. gas boat, built by Ed Petersen,
Pentwater, Mich. Powered with a Graymarine gas engine. Owned by the Stover
Meisenheimer Fishery, at Pentwater, Mich. in 1934. In 1943 the boat was
owned by Clifford Fuller, of that port. The last owner was James Bard,
South Haven, Mich.
PEGGIE SUE See ALLISON B.
PELICAN Built at Suamico, Wis. in 1937, the 40 ft. vessel was
owned by Alfred Anclam, Baileys Harbor, Wis. In 1945 Clyde and Clarence
Anderson, Algoma, Wis., bought the boat and operated with her until the
late 1950s, when she was sold to Dan Lindal, and taken to Kenosha, Wis.
In the mid 1960s the boat was observed there, and still in operation.
PENGUIN 250766 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1945 for Otto L. Kuehn
Co., Milwaukee; the 52 ft. 9 in x 14 ft. all steel vessel was equipped
with a 100-120 Kahlenberg oil engine. Operated from their Bayfield plant
as a fish pick-up vessel she was also operated as a fish tug, leased to
different operators. In 1956 she was sold to Talarico Fisheries, Otter
Head, Ontario. In 1963 Robert Sellman, Manistique, Mich. brought her back
to the U.S. and fished with her until 1977. Charles Nylund, Menomonee,
Mich., the next owner,changed the name to NANCY, re-powered with
a 250 hp. Cummins diesel, and operated with her until the early 1990s,
when he sold to Wm. King Sons Fisheries, Naubinway, Mich. The name was
then changed to ERNIE C. VIEW PICTURE
PETER A 50 ft. x 12 ft. fish tug, equipped with a 45-54
Kahlenberg oil engine, owned by Frank Seidl, Marinette, Wis. in the 1930s.
This same vessel was at Marquette, Mich. in the mid 1960s, renamed DANIEL
II, and equipped with a Model D8800 Caterpillar diesel.
PETER A. 232423 Built at Portage Entry, Chassell, Mich. in 1933,
by Koski Boat Works, for Peter Anderson Fisheries, Marquette, Mich. The
55 ft. x 14 ft. vessel was equipped with a 75-90 Kahlenberg oil engine.
In 1953 the boat was sold to Endress Masse Fisheries, Grand Marais, Mich.
After having several owners on Lake Michigan, the boat was finally hauled
ashore and destroyed. VIEW PICTURE
PETER W. 248805 Built at Chassell, Mich. in 1945, the 38 ft. x
11 ft. vessel was equipped with a 60 hp. diesel engine, and owned by John
Wiita, Big Traverse Bay, Mich. The boat was later sold to Jack Schmirler,
Ellison Bay, Wis. and was operated by Schmirler as late as 1978, and was
at some later time lost when it broke loose from its moorings and drifted
out into Lake Michigan.
PETREL 207559 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1909, for Louis Rodal,
Frankfort, MI, the 32 ft. x 9 ft. vessel was equipped with an 18 hp. Kahlenberg
gas engine. Rodal owned the boat until 1925, when it was sold to Frank
Gleason, Saugatuck, MI. In 1929 Gleason sold the boat to Frank Sewers,
Saugatuck. In 1935 the boat was sold to Lawrence Van Hall, Grand Haven,
MI. Boat was abandoned in 1947, per MVUS.
PHILLIPS A 30 foot gas boat owned by Manuel Frazier, Naubinway,
Mich. in 1929.
PILOT A 33 ft. gas boat owned by Arthur Olsen, Marinette, Wis.
PIONEER A fish boat of unknown size, owned by Harry A. Miller,
Petoskey, MI in 1931.
PLOW BOY A fish boat of unknown size, owned by Fred Lehnen, Munising,
MI in 1931.
PREBLE A 35 foot gas boat owned by Martin Jones, Ontonagon, Mich.
The boat was bought in the Green Bay, Wis. area in 1910, and shipped to
Ontonagon by railroad freight. Fished until about 1918, the boat was sold
to operators at Munising and owned by operators at Munising, and Grand
PRIDE Built at Racine by Pete Mayer, in the mid 1950s, for Strege
Rousar Fisheries. The 45 ft. x 12 ft. 8 in. steel hulled vessel was equipped
with a 220 hp. Cummins diesel. In the early 1960s the boat was lengthened
8 feet. With the decline in chub fishing in the late 1960s, the boat was
sold to LeBlance Fisheries, Mamainse Harbor, Ontario. When built the boat
was named THE PRIDE, a name that was later shortened to PRIDE.
PRIDE II When Strege Rousar decided to go back into the chub fishery
they purchased a large size former trapnet boat, and converted it to gill
netting. The PRIDE II was 50 feet in length and was also equipped
with a Cummins diesel. LeBlance Fisheries, now located at Southampton,
Ontario, on Lake Huron, purchased this vessel also, lengthened the hull
10 feet and installed a D3406 Caterpillar diesel.
PRINCESS Owned by L. Smith E. Cook, Muskegon, MI in 1941. Size