Fishing Vessels of the
Compiled by Harvey Hadland
SAL A gas boat owned by Mads Nielsen, Muskegon, MI
SALLIE 266515 Built by Marinette Marine Corporation
in 1949, the
42 ft. x 12 ft. all steel vessel was equipped with a 165 hp.
when owned by Stanley Peanaske, Myril Brix, and James Olson,
when they fished out of Cornucopia, Wis. The boat was later
sold and used
as a pilot boat at DeTour, MI. Still later Victor Mattson,
Mich. owned the boat. It is presently drydocked at Sault
Ste. Marie. VIEW PICTURE
SALLIE LOU A 40 ft. vessel, reported to be the first
built by Peterson Boat Works. Owned by the Grovogel Fishery,
WI in 1933.
SALLY A. Owned by A. R. Adair, Munising, MI in
SAMBO A boat of unknown size owned by Geo. F. Cook
MI in 1939.
SAN JOSEPH A 45 ft. diesel powered vessel owned by
Chicago, IL in 1984.
SAND BAY 257490 Built at Cornucopia, WI in 1948 by
Thomas H. Jones,
Sr., the 40 ft. x 14 ft. vessel was equipped with a war
surplus GM 6-71
diesel. Owner Herman Johnson, Jr. operated the boat in the
gill net fishery until his retirement. Sold to an owner at
the boat was later sold, and ended up in southern
SAND ISLAND Built at Bayfield, WI in the late 1930s
by Evan Christensen,
for Herman Johnson, Sr. The 28 ft. fantail vessel was
equipped with a
Buick car engine. In the mid 1940s Ernest LaPointe was owner
for a number
of years. By 1950 Allison Boutin, Bayfield , had the boat,
it for many years, re-powering it with a war surplus Buda
sitting ashore for a number of years Robert Boutin took it
over. In a
few years the boat was again back on the beach, sitting on
the end of
the Yacht Club dock, on property owned by Ed Erickson. Taken
to the James
Erickson farm, the boat was finally acquired by Robert
Halvorson and is
now on his property in the Town of Russell.
SCAMP A small fish boat owned by Ole Norwick,
Muskegon, MI in
SCOTTY 240251 Built at Bay City, MI in 1934, the 40
ft. x 9 ft.
wood hulled fishing vessel was owned by Walter Scott, Jr.,
during 1941 and 1942. Clare Thomas, Unionville, MI had
1942 until 1959. By Vern Thomas, Unionville, MI from 1959 to
Brennan, Port Huron, MI owned the boat during 1963 and 1964,
when it stranded
mile north of Port Sanilac, MI and presemed lost. This could
be the same SCOTTY listed below.
SCOTTY A small gas boat owned by Ray Goodheart,
Muskegon, MI in
SCOUT A fish boat of unknown size owned by Fred
MI in the late 1930s.
SEA BIRD 117013 Built at the Johnston Bros.
MI in 1900. The 58-ft. x 12 ft. steel-hulled, steam powered
originally a yacht. Up until 1918 the boat was in the
in the Grand Haven area. From 1919 to 1925 use is listed as
not listed in MVUS this is most likely when she was owned by
Fishery, Frankfort, MI. From 1926 to 1933 Victor Edholm had
the boat at
Chicago. From 1933 to 1935 Charles Koppelman Chicago, was
1935 to 1937 Arthur Lehmann, Chicago, was owner. From 1937
to 1938 Andrew
Trost, Chicago, had the boat, and in March of 1937 had her
for sale, the
reason being that the boat was too large for his fishing
was listed as having an 80 hp. Wolverine gas engine for
after this John Lange, Chicago, bought the boat and brought
it to Bayfield,
WI, where it was fished by LaPointe Bros. Fishery until the
the mid 1940s the boat was re-powered with a 135 hp.
Chrysler Royal gas
engine. Zenith Dredge Co., Duluth bought her from LaPointe
her to towing, and installed a Cummins diesel. The boat is
by James Melin, Ashland, WI VIEW
SEABIRD 226468 A 42 foot wood hulled vessel built at
City, Mich in 1927. Originally steam powered, the boat was
owned by Burney
Stites, of Traverse City for a number of years. In 1949 the
boat was owned
by the Thill & Peterson Fishery, Fayette, Mich. The last
owner of record
was Ralph Anthony, operating from various ports. The boat
abandoned at St. Ignace, Mich. in 1969.
SEA BIRD II 261042 A 40 ft. steel-hulled vessel,
built as a trapnetter.
Subsequent owner, Charles Wood, Racine, WI converted her to
renaming her CHARLES W. Buckler Bros. Fishery, Leland, Mich.
the boat next, renaming her SEA BIRD II. The Bucklers later
sold the boat
to Jeff Weborg, Ellison Bay, WI. After some time Weborg sold
her to Duane
Peterson, Bayfield, WI. Peterson fished the boat out of Big
Mich., for a time, then selling her to Gerald Jondreau. The
boat is presently
sitting ashore at Pequaming,Mich., north of L'Anse. VIEW PICTURE
SEA FLYER A fish boat of unknown size owned by Chas.
Munising, MI in 1929.
SEA FOAM A fish boat of unknown size owned by W.F.
Muskegon, MI in 1929.
SEA GOING McGEE A small fish boat owned by William
MI in 1954.
SEA GULL 236673 Built at Chassell, MI in 1935 for
Linden, MI, the 36 ft. x 10 ft. vessel was equipped with a
40 hp, Red
Wing gas engine.
SEA GULL A 26 ft. gas boat owned by George Senecal,
MI in 1929.
SEA GULL A 35 ft. gas boat owned by Fred Hauer,
Chicago, IL in
SEA GULL A fish boat of unknown size owned by Ben O.
Muskegon, MI in 1938.
SEA GULL A small fish boat owned by Edw. Champagne,
MI in 1931.
SEA GULL One of the many boats built by John
Peterson, at LaPointe,
on Madeline Island. Just over 30 ft. in length, the boat was
with various gas engines over the years. Owned by Ole Olsen,
the boat operated from Bear Island during the 1930s and into
Last operated out of Rocky Island in the mid 40s, the boat
was sold, and
ended up in Ashland, finally sinking in the Bad River, at
SEA HAG A 30 ft. gas boat owned by Martin Jones
MI in 1933.
SEA KING 248556 Built at Chassell, MI in 1945 for
Chassell, the 28 ft. x 9 ft. vessel was equipped with a 71
hp. gas engine.
SEA LION 225629 Built at Chassell, MI in 1925, the
38 ft. x 10
ft. gas boat was owned by Edward Koski, Portage Entry, MI.
SEA SCOUT 240335 Built at Portage Entry in 1935 for
of Portage Entry. The 34 ft. x 10 ft. vessel was equipped
with a 90 hp.
gas engine. In the 1940s the boat was owned by Emil Tormala
and his cousin
Eino Toumals, and operated out of Marquette, MI.
SEA WOLF A 44 ft. gas powered vessel owned by Axel
Ludington, MI in 1928.
SEABIRD 226468 Built at Traverse City, MI in 1927,
the 42 ft.
x 11 ft. steam powered vessel was owned by Burney R. Stites,
City, MI in 1938.
SEAQUEEN Owned by L.E. Voight, Ellison Bay, WI in
1934, the 40
ft. vessel was equipped with an oil engine of unknown
SEARCH Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1913 for Patrick
Washington Island, WI. The 70 ft. x 15 ft. vessel was
equipped with a
steam engine of 80 hp. In 1927 the boat was re-powered with
Kahlenberg oil engine. In 1944 the boat was hauled out of
the water and
SEARCHLIGHT A 40 ft. x 11 ft. x 4 ft. steam powered
built by G. Miskin, Saginaw, Mich. in 1899. Boat was lost
while on a fishing
trip out of Harbor Beach, Mich. on April 23, 1907. All six
SEEKER See ELEANOR
SENORA A 42 ft. x 11 ft. fish tug owned by August
MI in 1934. The vessel was equipped with a 45-54 Kahlenberg
SERVICE A 45 ft. vessel equipped with a 45-54
Kahlenberg oil engine,
owned by H. Johnson Sons, Washington Island, WI in 1933.
This boat was
last owned by Smith Bros., Port Washington and renamed ROY K. SMITH
SHAMROCK Built on Cat Island in the Apostle Islands,
WI, in the late 1920s, where it was framed up by Eli
LaPointe during winter
logging operations. In the spring Evan Christensen planked
the hull and
built the cabin. The 30 ft.(approx.) fantail vessel was
powered with a
gas engine. In 1935 Philip LaPointe was operating with the
after laying ashore at Bayfield for some time Elmer Sharp
and Walt Lindquist
attempted to fit the boat for fishing again, but dismantled
discovering the boat was beyond repair.
SHARK A 34 ft. gas boat built and owned by Otto
Niemi Sons Fishery,
Grand Marais MI in 1943.
SHARK Built by Otto Niemi, Grand Marais, MI in 1939,
the 34 foot
vessel was equipped with the 4 cyl. Fordson tractor engine
Niemi's previous boat, ELK. The boat was operated
until it was
sold in 1953.
SHARON 606857 Built at Escanaba, MI by T.D. Vinette
Co. in 1979
for Wayne Seaman, Garden, MI. The 51 ft. x 14 ft. steel
had an aluminum house, and was equipped with a turbocharged
In early 2000 the boat was bought by Sylvester Barbeau,
Fairport, MI and
converted into a trap-net boat.
SHARON JON 245525 A 35 ft. gas boat built at
Bayfield, WI in the
mid 1940s by Frank Muhlke, for Sivertson Fisheries, Duluth,
MN. VIEW PICTURE
SHERYL DENNIS 250492 Built by Marinette Marine Corp.
in 1946 for
Ostling Bros., Ontonagon, MI. The 35 ft. x 11 ft. all steel
equipped with a Chrysler Crown marine gas engine. The
Ostlings owned the
boat until 1953, when it was sold to John Wiita, Lake
Linden, MI. James
Wiita, Gay, MI acquired the boat in 1962 and kept her until
he sold her to Ralph Wilcox, Brimley, MI. In 1974 ownership
Grand Marais Fisheries, Grand Marais, MI. Ronald Grovogel,
is the last owner listed as of 1974. VIEW PICTURE
SHINE ON A 28 ft. gas boat owned by Carl Richter,
WI in 1930.
SHIP A fish boat of unknown size, owned by Ronald
MI in 1930.
SHIRLEY A fish boat owned by Eli H. Babcock,
Munising, MI in 1929.
SHIRLEY B. 249189 Built by the Marine Division of
Hugh Lee Iron
Works, Saginaw, MI in 1945. The 45 ft. all steel vessel was
A.M. Deering, N . Chicago, and equipped with a Caterpillar
by Baginske Fishery, Michigan City, IN, the boat was later
owned by Gary
Diepenhorst, Saugatuck, MI. and later still by Phillip
WI. Anderson changed the name to INGRID A. The boat
owned by Joseph Herro, Kenosha, WI and has been laying idle
MI for a number of years.
SHIRLEY K. 255345 38 ft. steel hulled
fish tug built at Milwaukee, Wis. in 1948 for
Willard Kauppi, Copper Harbor, Mich. The boat was
last owned by Kenwabikie Fisheries, Naubinway,
Mich., for a number of years before being cut up for
scrap at Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. in 2003. VIEW PICTURE
SIGNORA A 30 ft. gas boat owned by Stanley Radke,
SILONA A 30 ft. gas boat owned by Olsen Brothers
WI in 1931.
SILVER DAWN A fish boat of unknown size owned by
Dale H. Smith,
Muskegon, MI in 1952.
SILVER LEAF A 30 ft. gas boat owned by Theodore S.
Marinette, WI and brought to Bayfield in about 1928, when
his operation north. The boat was abandoned in 1930 when a
SILVER MOON A 34 ft. gas boat owned by Ralph Cross,
MI in 1937.
SILVER SPRAY 234567 Built at Portage Entry in 1934,
Jaasko, Big Traverse Bay, MI. The 36 ft. vessel was equipped
with a 35
hp. gasoline engine.
SILVER SPRAY A fish boat owned by John F. Brown,
SILVER SPRAY Built by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works in
1925, the 43
ft. x 11 ft vessel was owned by Earl Killoran, Fayette, MI.
was originally equipped with a 45-54 Kahlenberg oil engine.
to Ontonagon, MI during the 1940s and re-powered the boat
with a Model
D8800 Caterpillar diesel. When the boat was no longer
useable the engine
was removed, and the boat was scuttled outside Ontonagon.
The engine was
put in the 42 ft. steel boat GOODWILL, that had been
from William Lasanen at Big Traverse.
SILVER STAR Built on Beaver Island in 1906 by Gus
32 ft. vessel was equipped with a gasoline engine and owned
by Erwin Belfy,
St.James, MI, on Beaver Island in 1920.
SIR KNIGHT Built by the Marine Division of Hugh Lee
Saginaw, MI, from plans designed by A.M. Deering, Chicago
The 52 ft. x 13 ft. all steel vessel was equipped with a 165
diesel turning a 36 x 34 cast steel wheel. Owner Robert
MI had stationed the boat at Manistee, MI under the command
Nordstrand. In just a few years the boat was offered for
sale. Scott took
her to Florida for a time, but returned to Michigan. The
boat was eventually
put to use as a harbor tug, in the Bay City, MI area. VIEW PICTURE
SITTSER A fish boat of unknown size owned by Clayton
Muskegon, MI in 1942.
SKIPPER 248988 Built by Sturgeon Bay Shipbuilding
in 1945 for Howard and Emory Weborg, Gills Rock, WI. The 42
ft. x 12 ft.
all steel vessel was equipped with a 45-54 Kahlenberg oil
is to this day still owned by the Weborg brothers.
SLIVERS A 28 ft. gas boat owned by Kleinke Brothers
WI in 1929.
SLO-POKE A fish boat of unknown size owned by
Muskegon, MI in 1954.
SMILING THRU 236155 A 40 ft. x 11 ft wood hulled
fish tug built
at Montaque, Mich. in 1936 by J . Johnson. From 1937 to 1945
was owned by L.J. Strayer, Whitehall, Mich. Ernest Anderson,
Mich. was the owner during 1945 and 1946. George LeBlance,
Mich. had ownership during 1946 and 1948. W.R Angell, North
Mich. had the boat from 1948 to 1950. Tracy Grosvenor and
Leland, Mich. owned the boat from 1950 to 1963. Next Manitou
Leland, Mich. had the boat during 1963,1964 and 1965. John
Rapids, Mich. took ownership in 1965 and had the boat until
it was taken out of documentation and abandoned. The boat
as a fish tug, mail boat, and underwater research vessel.
SMITH BROS. 234580 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1936
Brothers Fish Co., Port Washington, the 52 ft. x 14 ft. all
was equipped with a 75-90 Kahlenberg oil engine. The boat
was sold to
Alvin Anderson, Milwaukee, WI in the 1960s, re-named D.
repowered with a 250 hp. Cummins diesel. VIEW PICTURE
SNEEZY A gas boat owned by Everett Lazotte,
Munising, MI in 1941.
SONNY A 37 ft. gas boat owned by H.C. Lant,
Barcelona, NY in 1937.
SONNY A fish boat of unknown size owned by Harold
MI in 1952.
SONNY S. A 52 ft. all steel fishing vessel owned by
Chas. H. Schneider,
Middle Bass, OH in 1946, and equipped with a 165 hp.
turning a 32 x 28 wheel through a 2:1 reduction gear.
SOPHIA H. 236054 Built at Chicago in 1937, the 38
ft. x 9 ft.
vessel was equipped with a 100 hp. diesel engine. In 1941
Fred H. Hauer,
Chicago, was owner. Clyde Cross, Charlevoix, MI owned the
boat in 1943.
In 1944 Alex Lindquist, Ludington, MI, owned the boat.
SOPHIA T. A 33 ft. gas boat owned by John Tuisl,
SORENSON BROS. Built by Marinette Marine Corp. in
1946, a standard
35 ft. x 11 ft. all steel vessel equipped with a Chrysler
engine. Owned by Sorenson Bros. Fishery, Washington Island,
SOUTH TWIN 238948 Built at
Bayfield, WI in
1938 for Lenus Jacobson, by Even Christensen. The 42 ft. x
11 ft. vessel
was equipped with a Buick car motor. In the early 1940s a
marine gas engine replaced the Buick. When Jacobson died in
1950 the boat was sold to Ernest LaPointe. In 1964 the boat
on the marine railway at LaPointe Bros. Fishery in Bayfield,
and no longer
in use. Sold, it was taken to the Grand Portage, MN area and
used as a
dive boat for a short time. Back in Bayfield again, the boat
by Robert Boutin and put back into the fishery. In the early
sold her to Thomas Newago. In 1986 Mark Simmons bought the
the name to ELIZABETH ANN, and re-powered with a GM 4-
In 1995 Wilfred Peterson bought the boat, removed the engine
and sold the boat to Cecil Peterson who has it set up
outside his grocery
market at Red Cliff. The name SOUTH TWIN has been
restored to the
vessel. VIEW PICTURE
SOUTHWESTER See JENSEN BROS.
SPARTA Built by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works, and
launched in February
1936 when the temperature was 22 degrees below zero. The 42
ft. x 12 ft.
vessel was owned by Gust Koulentis of Waukegan, IL, and
a 45-54 Kahlenberg oil engine. The tug was taken on a short
through some exceptionally heavy ice shortly after it was
launched. VIEW PICTURE
SPRAY A fish boat of unknown size owned by Albin
Einar Berg, Algoma, WI in 1936.
SQUAW A 26 ft. gas boat owned by Donah Destree,
WI in 1948.
SQUATTER A 40-foot fantail fish tug originally
operated out of
Marinette, Wisconsin. In the late 1940s, it was owned by
Grand Marais, Michigan. In the early 1950s, it was
confiscated by Canadian
authorities for allegedly operating in Canadian waters. The
boat was taken
to Mamainse Harbor, Ontario, where it was hauled ashore and
abandoned. VIEW PICTURE
STANLEY 212885 Built at Two Harbors, MN in 1914, the
fish tug was owned by John E. Johnson. In 1930 the boat was
intentionally, at Star Island, near Isle Royale.
STANDARD A small gas boat owned by Joseph Marsh,
STAR A 24 ft. gas boat owned by Harold Dahl,
Bayfield, WI in 1913.
STAR A 45 ft. steam tug owned by Wilson Bros.
MI in 1928.
STARLING 225630 Built at Chassell, MI in 1923, the
36 ft. x 9
1.2 ft. gas boat was owned by Frank E. Kuusisto, Portage
STELLA B. Built in 1899, the 40 ft. x 8 ft. 6 gross
vessel was owned by Nelson Bachand, Bayfield, WI. In 1919.
The 1919 Beeson's
Marine Directory lists John Neveaux, Odanah, WI, as a later
STEPHEN CHASE Built at Ashtabula, OH in 1904, the 81
ft. x 16
ft. vessel was steam powered. In 1928 she was rebuilt at a
cost of $5000
at Port Huron, MI. John C. McKay, South Haven, MI was owner
STEVE V. A fishing vessel of unknown size, owned by
Fish Co., Sandusky, OH in 1934.
STOREBO A small fishing vessel owned by John Nelson,
WI in 1912.
STORM A 25 ft. gas boat owned by Charles Jamsen,
MI in 1930.
STRANGER 230909 Built at Bayfield, WI in 1929 by
Halvor A. Reiten.
The 35 ft. x 10 ft. vessel was owned by Theodore S.
until 1949, when it was sold to Chris Hadland. When built
the boat had
a twin screw arrangement with two 4-cylinder Dodge car
motors, both engines
up forward alongside the net lifter. These were later
removed and one
engine, a 6 cylinder Buick was installed in the center, and
1949 the boat was re-powered with a Chrysler Crown marine
engine. VIEW PICTURE
SUB a small fish boat owned by Fred Lehnen,
Munising, MI in 1938.
SUITS-US A 24 ft.(approx.) gas boat that had a
number of owners
in the Bayfield, WI area. Among them Ole Frostman and Chris
The last owner, Elmer (Capt. Bly) Thompson, met with
disaster while on
a trolling trip out of Bayfield. One man was drowned, the
boat sank, and
Thompson was charged with manslaughter, but later acquitted.
retrieved the boat, took it to South Twin Island, where it
ashore and remained for many years.
SUNBEAM A vessel of unknown size owned by Frank
MI in 1930
SUNBEAM Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1917 for Roy K.
Koehn, and Delos H. Smith, Sheboygan, WI. The 71 ft. vessel
powered. VIEW PICTURE
SUNNY JIM A boat of unknown size owned by Roy
Williams and E .
Gibbons, Standish, MI in 1931.
SUNRISE A vessel of unknown size, equipped with a 30-
oil engine, owned by Leonard Nelson, Sturgeon Bay, WI in
SUPERIOR A 36 ft. gas boat owned by Gus Johnson and
Ontonagon, MI in 1947
SUSAN M. 248935 Built at Cornucopia, WI in 1945 by
Thomas H. Jones,
Sr., the 40 ft. vessel was equipped with a Model DCMR468
and owned by Michael and George Stark of Cornucopia. In the
Martin Johnson, Bayfield, WI, acquired the boat and fished
with it for
a number of years. When sold the boat eventually ended up at
MI and was re-named SHAMROCK. After various uses it
for a short time and then abandoned. VIEW PICTURE
SUSAN O. A fishing vessel of unknown size owned by
Frankfort, MI in 1930.
SUZANNE A 30 ft.[approx.] fishing vessel owned by
Oscoda, MI in 1967.
SWALLOW A 28 ft. gas boat owned by Charles and Axel
Frankfort, MI in 1938.
SWALLOW A small fish boat owned by Benth S. Johnson,
MI in 1931.
SWAN A small fish boat owned by Roy Brown, Munising,
MI in 1931.
SWAN Owned by Otto Niemi, Grand Marais, MI before
a sail boat , the 23 footer was converted to power with the
of a 1 cylinder Sears Roebuck engine. Niemi fished with her
until he built
the ELK in 1923.
SWEN Built by owner Swen Hill, Chassell, MI, in the
the 32 ft. steel hulled vessel was equipped with a GM
diesel. During a
severe blow, while moored at a dock on Huron Island, the
boat was nearly
destroyed and Hill drowned.
SYLVIA 117140 65 ft. steam powered fish tug, built
at Sturgeon Bay, WI in 1902 1919 MVUS listed as owned
by William P. Cavanaugh, Alpena, Mich. In 1926 the
boat is owned by Alcana Fish Co. of Alpena. In 1930
the boat is in towing service at Bay City, Mich. and
renamed WILLIAM J. MEAGHER. Out of service and listed
as abandoned in 1934. VIEW PICTURE