Fishing Vessels of the
Compiled by Harvey Hadland
R.E. HELEN 213042 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1915 for Albert
Goodman, Washington Harbor, Washington Island, WI Later owned by Goodmander
Johnson, Washington Island, the boat fished out of Port Washington, WI
from 1937 to 1939. Still later the boat was owned by Dan Lindal, Washington
Island, and operated by Lindal at Bayfield, WI in the 1960s. The boat
was dismantled at Bayfield in 1968, the 30-36 Kahlenberg was removed,
and is owned by James Erickson, Bayfield.
R.G. COOPER Built at Manitowoc, WI in 1916, the 57 ft. x 14 ft.
vessel was steam powered. Jay Wheaton, Port Huron, MI was the owner in
R.T. ROY 110910 A 56 ft. x 14 ft. steam-powered fish tug built
at Cleveland OH in 1891 by Theophile Roy. The tug had several owners before
coming to Bayfield, WI, where Sollie Boutin operated with her for quite
a few years. The boat was abandoned in 1934. VIEW
R.V.H. 236085 Built at Grand Haven, MI in 1936 by Robert Van Hall,
and owned by him until his death a few years later. The 40 ft. steel hulled
vessel was of welded and riveted construction and was equipped with a
Model D8800 Caterpillar diesel. The boat was sold to Bethway McDonald
Fishery, Grand Marais, MI, who had her until 1946, when she was sold to
Floyd [Bing] Anderson, Port Wing, WI. In the early 1980s Anderson replaced
just about all of the steel below the waterline. The wood cabin had been
replaced with steel well before that. In the late 1980s the boat was sold
to Earl [Butch] Livingston, Bayfield, WI. In the fall of 1999 Livingston
replaced the Caterpillar with a 1948 model Cummins diesel. VIEW
RAGNA Owned by John Ellefson, Washington Island, WI in 1912. The
size of the gas powered vessel is not known.
RAINBOW A 27 ft. gas boat owned by Charles St ndre, Naubinway,
MI in 1929.
RAINBOW A 65 ft. steam powered vessel owned by Kishman Fish Co.,
Vermilion, OH in 1928.
RAMBLER A 40 ft. gas powered vessel owned by Joseph Desjardine,
Grand Marais, MI in 1946.
RAMBLER II A 50 ft. gas powered fishing vessel, owned by Fred
Schmekel, Rogers City, MI. In the 1930s the boat was re-powered with a
45-54 Kahlenberg oil engine. VIEW PICTURE
RAMONA 229246 Built by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works in 1929, the 45
ft. x 12 ft. vessel was owned by Gills Rock Fish Co. [Maurice, Jacob and
Simon Martin] Ellison Bay, from 1929 to 1937. WI Equipped with a 45-54
Kahlenberg oil engine, the boat was next owned by Verner Johnson, Elison
Bay, from 1937 to 1969. Elmer Stein, Sheboygan, WI, was the owner from
1969 to 1972. Merle Mentink, Kenosha, WI had ownership during 1972 and
1973, and Roy Nelson, Milwaukee, from 1973 to 1977.
RANGER 233681 Built by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works in 1936, for Adolph
Ruzek and William Westphal, Two Rivers, WI, the 40 ft. x 12 ft. vessel
was equipped with a 30-36 Kahlenberg oil engine. Adolph Ruzek owned the
boat until 1945. From 1945 to 48 Edward Pupeter, Two Rivers, was the owner.
From 1948 to 1952 Harold Zoeller, Washington Island, WI, had ownership.
Lloyd Young, Wash. Isl. had the boat from 1952 to 1955, and John Young,
Wash. Isl. from 1955 to 1962. Clifford Young, Wash. Island had ownership
from 1962 to 1973. Charles McDonald, Kenosha, WI was owner from 1973 to
1977. James Kaus, Sturgeon Bay, WI is listed as the next owner.
RANGER Built by T.D. Vinette Co., Escanaba, MI in 1972 for Young
Greenfeldt Fishery, Washington Island, WI. The 45 ft. x 13 ft. 8 in. steel
hulled vessel was equipped with a turbo charged Allis Chalmers diesel.
RAY 212445 45-foot steam tug, built in Manitowoc in 1914 for William
DeYoung, Ludington, MI. VIEW PICTURE
RAZAL BROS. 259751 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1949 for Ludwig
Razal, Sheboygan, Wis. The 39 ft. x 11 ft. all steel vessel was equipped
with a 165 hp. Cummins diesel. Jerome Van Landschoot, Munising, MI bought
the boat in 1961 and owned her until 1968, when he sold her to his brother
Paul Van Landschoot. In 1981 the boat was sold to Ed Perkins and Russell
King, Naubinway, MI A few years later the boat was rammed and sunk by
a Yugoslav freighter. All three on board, including the owners, lost their
lives. The boat remains where it went down, in 50 feet of water, in the
vicinity of Trout and Whiskey Islands.
RECORD Built of iron at Cleveland, OH in 1884 for the Union Towing
Wrecking Co. the steam tug was home ported in Duluth, MN. 74 ft. in length
with a beam of 17 ft. the vessel was purchased by Russell Couture, Ontonagon,
MI in the late 1920s and operated as a fish tug until 1936, when she was
sold back into the towing trade.
RED WING Built at LaPointe, WI in the early 1940s, by Arvid Kron,
the 32 foot vessel later bought by Irving Hadland, Bayfield, and re-powered
with a Red Wing marine gas engine. An earlier name was then also changed
to showcase the new engine. Martin Johnson, Bayfield bought the boat after
returning from service in the military. The boat was eventually sold back
to a Madeline Island party, and later dismantled
REDWING 224960 Built at Grand Marais, MI in 1924, the 40 ft. x
9 ft. vessel was equipped with 28 hp. gasoline engine, and was owned by
Frank Vaudreuil, Grand Marais, in 1928.
REDWING 245421 Built at Portage Entry in 1932 by Winikka Boat
Works, for Henry Mikkola Sons, Portage Entry. The 35 ft. x 10 ft. vessel
was equipped with a 95 hp. gasoline engine.
REGINA A fishing vessel of unknown size, operated by Zylkowski
Brothers Fishery, Marinette, Wisconsin,I during the 1940s.
REINDEER Built at Manitowoc, WI in 1914, the 38 ft. x 10 ft. vessel
was equipped with a 25 hp. gasoline engine. In 1926 the boat was owned
by Norman Allie, Two Rivers, WI. In 1943 Irwin Pulda, Racine, WI was owner. VIEW PICTURE
RELIANCE 211720 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1913. The 37 ft. x
9 ft. vessel was equipped with a 15 hp. gasoline engine. In the MVUS listings
William Anderson, Algoma, WI was the owner from 1917 until 1930. Joseph
Wacek, Algoma, 1931-1939. Lawrence Eggert,Fayette, MI, 1941-1942, and
Rudolph Tallman, Fayette, 1943-1944. On Dec. 12 1943 the boat foundered
while en route from Fayette to the Fox Islands. All aboard were lost.
RELIANCE Built at Naubinway, MI in 1923, by Henry Vincent, the
34 ft. x 9 ft vessel was equipped with a 20-24 Kahlenberg oil engine,
and owned by Vincent Vanderberg, Muskegon, MI
RELIANCE Built at West DePere, WI in 1905, the 40 ft. x 10 ft.
vessel was equipped with a 16 hp. gasoline engine. The owner in 1926 was
John Garbe, Sheboygan, WI.
REX Built by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works in 1938 for Ed Bohman and
Emil Pagel. The 38 ft. vessel was initially equipped with a gasoline engine.
In 1947 Clyde Olsen, Ellison Bay, WI sold the boat to Julius Yauger, Two
Rivers, In 1974 Chester Kozlowski at Dunkirk, NY was the owner, and in
the late 1980s the boat was pulled out at a yard in Port Dover, Ontario
and shortly thereafter broken up.
RHODORA 238305 Built at Portage Entry in 1930 by Winikka Boat
Works, for Ernest J. Erkkila, Big Traverse Bay, MI. The 33 ft. x 9 ft.
vessel was equipped with a 95 hp. gasoline engine.
RICHARD E. 246795 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1944, the first
boat to be built following WW II contracts a the yard.. The 50 ft. x 14
ft. steel hulled vessel was equipped with a 75-90 Kahlenberg oil engine
taken out of the wood hulled tug W.H. PUGH. The stern pilothouse
and roof just forward of it were of wood construction. Owner, Frank Eichler,
Kenosha, WI, had the boat until 1958, when it was sold to James R.[Ray]
McDonald, Racine, WI. McDonald sold the boat to Reuben Peterson, Harbor
Beach, MI in 1959. Peterson Had the boat until 1974, when it was sold
to Robert Peterson, Manistique, MI. In 1979 the boat was again sold, this
time to another Peterson, Hector Peterson, Fayette, MI. Robert Peterson
had replaced the Kahlenberg with a GM 6-110 diesel. Joel Peterson, Fairport,
MI, son of Hector, replaced the GM with a 250 hp. Cummins diesel, and
also removed the stern house and built a pilot-house midship.
RICHARD H. 225353 A steam powered vessel built at Marinette, WI
in 1923. The 48 ft. x 12 ft. fish tug was owned by William Prue, Green
Bay, WI in 1938
RICHARD V. Built at St. Joseph, MI in 1934, the 38 ft. x 10 ft.
steam powered vessel was owned by David Vischer, South Haven, MI in 1938.
RICHARD W. Built in the early 1930s for Wilson Bros., Northport,
MI, the 48 ft. steam powered tug was re-powered with a 45-54 Kahlenberg
in 1936. In the mid 1940s the boat was owned by John Cross, Charlevoix,
RITA ANN Owned by Nelson H. Monroe, Westfield, NY in 1943, the
63 ft. vessel was equipped with two Chrysler Crown Marine gas engines
with 3:1 reduction gears.
RITA MARIE Built at Bayfield, WI in the mid 1940s, by Frank Muhlke,
the 35 ft. gas boat was owned by Martin Reuben. After just a few years
the boat was sold to Sivertson Fisheries, Duluth, and was used in their
fishery at Isle Royale, for many years.
RITTER BROS. 247127 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1944 for Ritter
Fisheries, Michigan City, IN. The 47 ft. x 13 ft. all steel vessel was
equipped with a 60-70 Kahlenberg oil engine. In 1993 Cecil Peterson and
his son Michael bought the boat, took it to Big Traverse Bay, MI but never
fished with it. The Ritters had re-powered with a 350 hp. Volvo Penta
diesel. After a few years the boat was sold to Lawrence Schweig, taken
to Mamainse Harbor, Ontario, for painting and minor repair, where it was
discovered the boat had to have a new bottom. After that work was completed
the boat went to Chicago.
ROAMER Built by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works in 1936, for Johnson Voight,
Ellison Bay, WI. The 42 ft. x 12 ft. vessel was equipped with a 45-54
Kahlenberg oil engine. Not too long after being built the owners moved
to Port Wing, WI and the partnership was dissolved, with Norman and Harris
Johnson taking ownership. The boat was operated at Port Wing until 1975,
when the boat and dock and twine shed were burned in a fire of mysterious
origin. Arson was strongly suspected. VIEW PICTURE
ROBERT LEE 241208 Built at Bayfield in 1940 by Evan Christensen.
The 36 ft. vessel was owned by Carl M. Hendrickson and equipped with a
Buick car motor. In about 1944 the Buick was replaced with a 115 hp. Chrysler
Crown Gas engine. In 1958 the boat was bought by Walter (Bud) Peterson,
who fished for a few years. At his death the boat was bought by Harvey
Lyle Nourse, and later sold to an owner outside the fishery. The boat
was also at Isle Royale, used as a dive boat. At present it is sitting
in the woods in the Town of Russell, north of Bayfield, owned by Frank
ROBERTA A 50 ft. diesel powered fish boat owned by Kishman Fish
Co., Vermilion, OH in 1985.
ROCK BASS A small gas boat owned by William Johnson, Gills Rock,
WI in 1903.
ROMEO 238146 Built at Portage Entry in 1931 by Winikka Boat Works,
for Arthur Lasanen, Big Traverse Bay. The 32 ft. x 9 ft. vessel was equipped
with a 90 hp. gasoline engine. In 1965 this boat was observed abandoned
at Black River Harbor, MI.
RONALD JAMES A 35 ft. gas boat owned by Clyde Cross, Charlevoix,
MI in 1938.
RONNIE Built of oak at Pensaukee, Wis. , circa early 1940s for
Albert and Ludwig Razal, Sheboygan, Wis. The 30 foot was equipped with
a four cylinder Scripps Marine gas engine. The pilothouse was located
over the engine space and the boat was used primarily in the set -hook
RONNIE Originally a pound net boat, the 32
ft. steel hulled vessel was converted to a gill-netter by an owner in
the Houghton, MI area. In the early 1980s Roy Nelson, LaPointe, WI bought
her and fished for a number of years, and sold to Ronald and James Boutin,
Bayfield. The boat was then re-named ALLISON B. II and re-powered
with a Perkins diesel. By the mid 1990s the boat had been ashore for a
few years, and was eventually sold to Alan Newago, and was taken back
to the Houghton, MI area. VIEW PICTURE
RUBY A gas boat owned by John Peloquin, Kewaunee, WI in 1929
RUBY Built on Madeline Island in 1935 by Art and Arvid Kron, the
30 ft. vessel was a double-ender, and equipped with a gasoline engine.
After a few years the boat was sold to Stark Bros. Fishery, Cornucopia,
WI. The Starks had her until 1945. In 1950 Arvid Forsberg and Albo DiGiacinto
owned the boat.
RUBY ANN 249029 Built by Sturgeon Bay Shipbuilding Drydock Co.
in 1945. Barbeau Bros., Fayette, MI owned the all-steel vessel, equipped
with a GM 6-71 diesel, until it was sold to a succession of owners, which
included, Richard McNab, Muskegon, MI. Hallard Grover, Montaque, MI. James
Frostman, Bayfield, WI. 1972-1997. In 1997 the boat was sold to James
Kenwabikise, Charlevoix, MI. Frostman re-powered with a 220 hp. Cummins
diesel in 1975 and that engine is still in the boat. VIEW
RUTH 238014 Built at Bayfield by Evan Christensen, in 1938, for
Henry Johnson, Jr. The 40 ft. vessel was equipped with a Buick car motor
until the early 1940s, when a 115 hp. Chrysler Crown marine gas engine
was installed. In 1956 the boat was completely rebuilt from mid-ship and
aft. The fantail stern was changed to a square fantail, and the pilothouse
was moved to the stern. Johnson later sold the boat to Martin Peterson.
In 1982 The boat was sold to Duane Peterson, and renamed TYLER ANDREW.
Still later Alan Newago Son, Fishery bought her and completed the ironing
off of the hull, and built a steel house along the lines of the wood house,
and added sliding steel gangways. In 1998 Ed Erickson bought her, and
changed the name back to RUTH. The boat is now on display at the
Bayfield Boat Barn Museum. VIEW PICTURE
RUTH A 36 ft. gas boat owned by Frank Emmes, Brussels, WI in 1929.
RUTH Owned by Circle Fish Co., Erie, PA in 1949, a 75 ft. diesel
powered fishing vessel.