Fishing Vessels of the
Compiled by Harvey Hadland
H. EWIG .Built at Ferrysburg, Mich. in 1908, a steel hulled vessel
72 ft. x 15 ft., powered by steam, and owned by Ewig Fisheries, Port Washington,
Wis. until the early 1930s. Boat had formerly been named HERBERT.
H. G. BECK 55 ft. steam powered tug, owned by Carl Daggett, Erie,
Penn., in 1930.
H. J. DORNBOS ..Built at Grand Haven, Mich. in 1891, of wood,
a 68 ft. x 14 ft. steam powered fish tug, owned by Henry P. Fase, Grand
Haven, Mich. in 1936. Formerly named Alice, the boat was cited as abandoned
in MVUS 1941.
H. VAN ELLS 215058 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1917 dimensions
and power unknownfor Henry, Andrew, and John Van Ells, Port Washington,
Wis. Later owned by Elmer Stein, Sheboygan, Wis., the boat was dismantled
in 1936 and later bought by William Gierke and taken to Washington Island
to be used as a transport boat between the island and the mainland.
H. W. HOCKS 234604 Built at Milwaukee, Wis., in 1935, by Harry
W. Hocks, the 50 ft. x 14 ft. all-steel vessel was originally equipped
with a 100-120 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. By the early 1940s the boat
had been sold to Reuben Nelson, Sturgeon Bay, Wis. Nelson re-powered with
a Model D13000 Caterpillar diesel. In 1955 Clyde and Clarence Anderson,
Algoma, Wis. purchased the boat, and fished her up until 1991, when she
was sold to Cliff Parrish, Brimley, Mich.
H. WATERHILL 45 ft. diesel powered tug owned by Carl Jacobi, Chicago,
Ill., in 1934.
H. WATERHILL 45 ft. vessel owned by Carl Jacobi, of Chicago,in
1934, and equipped with a 6 cylinder, 100 hp. Buda diesel.
H.B. KISHMAN 55 ft. gas powered fish tug owned by Kishman Fish
Co., Vermilion, Ohio, in 1936.
HALIFAX Built at Big Bay on Madeline Island, in 1955, owner Emil
Erickson. About 32 ft. in length, the boat was of square fantail design,
with open stern deck, and the pilothouse mid-ship. Power was with a 6
cyl. Graymarine Lugger 6-330 gas engine. Following Erickson's ownership
the boat had various other owners at LaPointe. The boat remained there
until it was finally dismantled.
HANDY Owned by Matthew and William Mahoney, Standish, Mich. 1931.
HANK PERKINS . 233671 Built at Saugatuck, Mich., in 1934, the
40 ft. x 11 ft. vessel was equipped with a 30-36 Kahlenberg oil engine.
Ludwig Fish Co., Michigan City, Ind., the initial owners, operated the
boat until 1946, then selling the boat to Peter Johnson, Whitehall, Mich.
In 1955 the boat was owned by Ralph Vannett, New Era, Mich. , 15 miles
inland from Whitehall.
HANS 226982 A 45 ft. x 13 ft. wood hulled fish tug built in 1926
by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works. 24 Gr. Tons 16 Net tons. The boat was owned
by Thomas Goodman, Washington Island, Wis. from 1926 until 1959. Lawrence
Weborg, Kewaunee, Wis. had the boat from 1959 to 1964. Robert LaPoint,
Detour, Mich. owned the boat from 1964 to 1974, when it was dismantled.
HAROLD 28 ft. gas boat, owned by Knute Paulsen, Manistique, Mich.,
HARRY H. 232597 Built at Milwaukee, Wis. in the early 1930s by
Harry W. Hocks. The all-steel vessel was 42 ft. in length, with a beam
of 11 ft. and equipped with a 45-54 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. By the
mid 1930s the boat was owned by W. E. Fish Co., Grand Haven, Mich. Next
owned by Taddy Fishery, Two Rivers, Wis., where she was operated for many
years. Taddy sold her to Bjorquist Brothers Fishery, Manistee, Mich. The
name was then changed to BOB RICHARD II, the Kahlenberg was then replaced
with a GM 6-71 diesel.
HARVEY 208243 A 74 ft. x 16 ft. built at Ferrysburg, Mich. in
1910 by Johnston Bros. Shipbuilding. The steam powered, steel hulled fish
tug was at Sheboygan, Wis. circa 1916. Ownership not known. The boat was
out of documentation by 1051.
HARVEY G. A 40 ft. gas powered fish boat owned by Harvey Gondreau,
Seul Choix Pt., Mich. in 1928.
HAZEL 40 ft. gas powered fish boat owned by Platz Wenzel Fish
Co., Rogers City, Mich., in 1930.
HAZEL C. 208793 Built at West DePere, Wis. in 1906. A 27 ft. x
8 ft. gas powered vessel, owned by Telesphor Coel, Green Bay, Wis. in
HAZEL C. 224268 Built at Holland, Mich. in 1924. A 55 ft. x 14
ft. steam powered vessel, owned by Robert F. Cooper, Frankfort, Mich.
HAZEL H. 207360 A wood hulled fishing vessel, 38 ft. x 11 ft,
built in 1910 at Astabula, Ohio by J.G. Laird Sons. There is no record
of ownerdhip. The boat was abandoned in 1929.
HAZEL JEANETTE 208940 A 38 ft. gas boat owned by Charles Melotte,
Green Bay, Wis., in 1927.
HAZEL W. . 2777755 Built by T.D. Vinette, Escanaba, Mich. in 1958.
The 42 ft. steel hulled vessel was the only round bottom boat built by
Vinette. Equipped with diesel power, she was owned by Jacob White, Charlevoix,
Mich. from 1959 to 1967 From 1967 to 1977 Hazel White and Jacob White,
Jr. had ownership. In 1977 Francis Martin, Beaver Island, Mich. bought
the boat and converted her to a trapnetter. In July of 1986, while transporting
a load of lumber to Beaver Island, they encountered a severe blow, the
boat was swamped, and went down in 280 ft. of water five miles off Charlevoix.
All persons on board were saved by making a raft from some of the lumber
HELEN 210630 .Built at Little Suamico, Wis., in 1911. A 33 ft.
x 9 ft. gas powered fish boat. In 1927 the boat was owned by John Kernin,
Green Bay, Wis.
HELEN A 41 ft. gas powered fish boat owned by John Howard, Alpena,
Mich., in 1929.
HELEN B. 209397 .Built at Manitowoc, Wis., in 1905. A 33 ft. x
9 ft. gas powered fish boat. In 1927 the boat was owned by Cornelius Claflin,
HELEN B. 247050 Built at Pentwater, Michigan, in 1944 by Ed Pedersen
for Fred Baginske, St. Joseph, Michigan. Originally powered with an International
diesel and later repowered with a Caterpillar D-8800. In 1972, the 44-foot
tug was bought by Peterson Fisheries, Muskegon, Michigan. The Caterpillar
diesel was removed for use in another boat, and the Helen B. was scrapped. VIEW PICTURE
HELEN C. 208941 Built at Washington Harbor, Wis., on Washington
Island, in 1907. A 27 ft. x 8 ft. gas powered fish boat. Owned by William
Sawdo, Brussels, Wis. in 1927.
HELEN G. Owned by Arthur Ganya, Standish, Mich. in 1931. Size
HELEN GENE 249437 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1946, for Henry
W. Smith, Waukegan, Ill. 55 ft. x 14 ft., and equipped with a 100-120
hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. The boat was sold to Wisconsin Conservation
Department in the early 1950s, for use as a law enforcement patrol boat.
The name was changed to HACK NOYES, and the Kahlenberg was replaced
with a Cummins diesel. VIEW PICTURE
HELEN K. Owned by William Cloutier, Pinconning, Mich. in 1931.
HELEN N. .Built at St. James, Mich., on Beaver Island, in 1922.
A 44 ft. x 11 ft. steam powered fish tug. In 1938 the boat was owned by
Stephen Nedeau, Muskegon, Mich.
HELEN No.2 Owned by Toras L. Fisk, Sterling, Mich. in 1931. Size
of boat is not known.
HELENA Owned by Chas. A. Matson, Munising, Mich. in 1954. Size
of boat is not known.
HENRIETTA MARGARET 235620 .Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1936 for
George Van Hall, Grand Haven, Mich. The 42 ft. x 13 ft. all-steel vessel
was equipped with a 60-70 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. The boat has had
many owners: Van Hall, 1936-1939, Smith Bros, Port Washington, 1941-1947,
William Jepson, Washington Island, 1948-1952, Murray Cornell, Sheboygan,
1953-1957, Nial Gates, Two Rivers, 1958-1981, Neil and Gregory Gates,
1982 to the present. Smith Bros changed the name to LESTER H. SMITH,
and the boat still carries that name. VIEW PICTURE
HENRY C. 25 ft. gas boat owned by Lawrence Christensen, Naubinway,
Mich. in 1929.
HENRY GEORGE Owned by H.H. Gaider and George Cullen, Muskegon,
Mich. in 1931 Size of the boat and type of engine is not known.
HENRY L. .Owned by George Leidheiser, Vermilion, Ohio, in 1945,
this 50 ft., all-steel fish tug was equipped with a 150 hp. Graymarine
HENRY N. 48 ft. gas powered fish tug owned by Henry Newton, Irving,
N.Y. in 1949.
HERBERT C. SMITH Owned by Smith Bros. In 1937, there is not much
information available about this vessel, other than it being equipped
with a diesel engine. There was speculation the boat was built for the
Seidl Fish Co., Marinette, and had a Fairbanks Morse diesel, but ended
up being sold to Smith, instead.
HERRMANN ..Owned by Herrmann Brothers, Milwaukee, in the 1930s.
Originally powered with steam, the 52 ft. x 15 ft. tug was at that time
equipped with a 75-90 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. By the 1940s the boat
was at Waukegan, Ill., owned by Mathon Kyritsis, and re-named MATHON.
HILDA . 208231 Built at Manitowoc, Wis. in 1910. A 42 ft. x 11
ft. steam powered vessel, owned by Hector Stebbins, Northport, Mich. in
1938. Boat was dismantled in 1952.
HOARD 37 ft. x 9 ft. steam powered fish tug, built at Drummond,
Mich. in 1929, and owned by Eric Nasi, of Drummond, in 1938.
HOPE .Built at Sturgeon Bay Boat Works, this 45 ft. x 12 ft. vessel
was owned by Johnson Voight Fishery, Ellison Bay, Wis., and equipped with
a 50-60 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine. Donald Voight fished out of Frankfort
for many years, and then brought the boat back to Ellison Bay, where it
is presently a part of the Fishery Museum there.
HOPE .Built by Armas Sarkala, Cedar Bay, Calumet, Mich., the 26
ft. boat was equipped with a Chrysler Crown gas engine. The boat is currently
being considered for inclusion in a display at the Eagle Harbor commercial
HOPE SMITH Built in the early 1930s, reportedly by Burger Boat
Co., for Smith Bros, Port Washington, Wis., the wood hulled boat was 45
ft. x 13 1/3 ft. and equipped with a 50-60 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine.
In 1935 the boat was sold to Peter Jacobson, Escanaba, Mich., and operated
out of Manistique. Later sold to Milton Casey, Manistique, the boat was
taken to Waukegan, Ill., and fished from that port by Casey and John.
S. Johnson. Still operated by Casey Johnson in 1948, the name had been
changed to HOPE. In 1974 Fred Frencheck, also at Waukegan, was
the owner. By now the Kahlenberg had been replaced with a high speed diesel
and the cabin completely rebuilt. A 1977 photo shows the boat tied up
alongside the river bank in Chicago.
HOWARD L. . 221579 Built at Naubinway, Mich. in 1920, a 36 ft.
x 10 ft. fish boat, owned by Arthur A. Pulda, Racine, Wis. in 1955. Boat
is believed to have been equipped with a 20-24 hp. Kahlenberg oil engine.
There is not much information available about this boat.
HURON. 239046. Built at Portage Entry, Mich. in 1936 for John
Falk, Skanee, Mich. Powered with a gas engine, the 36 ft. x 10 ft. vessel
was always owned by members of the Falk family. John G. Falk is listed
as owner from 1936 to 1944. Falk Bros. from 1944 to 1957, and Pavo Falk
from 1957 to 1974, when the boat is listed as abandoned. VIEW
HURON QUEEN 252688 Built at Portage Entry, Chassell, Mich. in
1940, the 30 ft. x 9 ft. gas boat was owned by Waino Lepisto, Houghton,
HUSTLER 237018 42 ft. all-steel gillnet tug built by Burger Boat Co., Manitowoc, WI for Joseph Jacobi, Chicago, IL in 1938. Equipped with a 45-54 HP Kahlenberg Oil Engine. Later owned by Don & Bob Slenk, Holland, MI and later still by Jim Petersen, Muskegon, MI. Boat was repowered with a Cummins diesel and
operated by an owner in Door County, Wis. for a number of years, renamed KARI A. VIEW
HUTTON 36 ft. diesel powered fish boat owned by Tom Brown Fisheries,
Whitefish Pt, Mich. in 1944.