Fishing Vessels of the
Compiled by Harvey Hadland
KARIN LEA 254222 Built at Cornucopia, Wis. in 1946, by William
Evanow. The 37 ft. vessel was equipped with a Chrysler Crown gas engine.
Evanow fished the boat into the 1970s. It was then sold to John Defoe,
Jr., Bayfield, Wis. and operated for a few years. After sitting ashore
for a time it was bought by Lawrence Day, and operated into the early
1990s. It is presently ashore at Schooner Bay, north of Bayfield. VIEW
KARI A. 237018 42 ft. all-steel gillnet tug built as HUSTLER by Burger Boat Co., Manitowoc, WI for Joseph Jacobi, Chicago, IL in 1938. Equipped with a 45-54 HP Kahlenberg Oil Engine. Later owned by Don & Bob Slenk, Holland, MI and later still by Jim Petersen, Muskegon, MI. Boat was repowered with a Cummins diesel and
operated by an owner in Door County, Wis. for a number of years, renamed KARI A. VIEW
KARLSRUHE 213738 Built by Burger Boat Co. in 1915, for Arthur
J. Luebke, Two Rivers, Wis. The 43 ft. x 12 ft. vessel was equipped with
the first Kahlenberg Oil engine to be manufactured, a 2 cylinder 50-60
hp. Hugo Heller, Two Rivers, was the owner from 1925 to 1928. Sigmart
Paulsen, Manistique, Mich. was the owner from 1929-1947. Vessel was out
of documentation in 1948.
KASSIE K See GEORGE VAN HALL
KATE A. 247150 A 33 ft. wood hulled fish boat built in 1944. Equipped
with a 20-24 hp Kahlenberg oil engine. The boat is operated out of Marinette,
KATHERINE See RONNIE
KATHERINE V. Built by Henry Vincent in 1928, at Rogers City, Mich.,
the 58 ft. x 13 ft. vessel was equipped with a 75-90 hp. Kahlenberg oil
engine. In the ownership of the Vogelheim family from the time it was
built, except from 1973 to 1977, when it was sold to be converted to a
yacht; this never materialized, she was bought back, and since the mid
1980s she has been sitting ashore on the Vogelhein property. VIEW PICTURE
KATHLEEN 36 ft. gas powered vessel owned and operated by Cornelius
Klaflin, Sturgeon Bay, Wis., during the 1940s.
KATHY 513486 Built at Two Rivers, Wis. by Schwartz Marine for
Lorman Greenfeldt, Washington Island, Wis in 1968. The 45 ft. x 12 ft.
all steel vessel was equipped with a Caterpillar Model D3306 diesel. After
just a few years the boat was sold to Francis Thill, Marquette, Mich. VIEW PICTURE
KATHY 277442 Built at Racine, Wis. by Pete Mayer, in the 1960s,
for Lorman Greenfeldt, the 45 ft. x 13 ft. vessel was equipped with a
180 hp. Cummins diesel. With a steel hull and wood house, the boat was
modeled after the PRIDE and VAGABOND. After number of years
Greenfeldt sold the boat to Jerome Van Landschoot, Munising, Mich. Van
Landschoot put a steel cabin on the boat and repowered with a 250 hp Cummins
855 diesel. VIEW PICTURE
KATHY B See VANDERBERG BROS.
KATY BELLE A fish-boat owned by George F. Beamer, Muskegon, Mich.
in 1934. Size not known.
KEVINBREN . 254619 Built by Milwaukee Shipbuilding Co. in 1947
for George J. Kohlbeck, Milwaukee, the 55 ft. x 15 ft. all steel vessel
was equipped with a Caterpillar Model D17000 diesel. By 1951 the boat
was owned by Frank Miller, Milwaukee, and converted to trawliing for alewife.
Still later the boat was used for diving and underwater recovery.. It
is presently still at Milwaukee, converted to a tug yacht, and has been
renamed SOLOMON JUNEAU, and is owned by Mark Gubin.
KEWEENAW . 233281 Built at Portage Entry in 1933, by Koski Boat
Works, the 35 ft. x 10 ft. gas powered vessel was owned and operated by
F. Arnold Rautiola, Portage Entry.
KING 221943 36 ft. fish tug built by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works in
1920 for Victor Johnson, Ellison Bay, WI. And owned by him until 1947,
at which time Richard Johnson, also of Ellison Bay, took ownership, and
had the vessel until 1953. Ed McOlash, Ellison Bay, was owner from 1953
to 1960, and Merl Claflin, Sturgeon Bay, was owner from 1960 to 1965.
From 1965 to 1974, when she was abandoned, the boat had three owners in
the Milwaukee, WI area.
KINGFISH 36 ft. gas powered vessel, owned and operated by Henry
Groesser, Frankfort, Mich., in the 1930s.
KINGFISHER ..Built on Madeline Island in the early 1940s by Arvid
Kron. In 1949 the boat was owned by Chester Thompson, Bayfield. Later
sold to Reuben Daubner, Cornucopia, the boat was fished out of that port.
About 32 ft. in length, and equipped with a gas engine, the boat was eventually
hauled ashore to be dismantled.
KINGFISHER 40 ft. wood hulled, diesel powered vessel owned and
operated by Christensen Bros. Fishery at Marquette, Mich. during the 1940s
and up until they had the steel hulled 43 ft. LAURIS C. built in
KNIFE ISLE .Built at Bayfield by Frank Muhlke,in the mid 1940s,
for Knife River, Minn. fisherman Laurence Bugge, the 35 ft. vessel was
equipped with a Chrysler Crown gas engine. Later owned by Sivertson Fisheries,
Duluth, the boat was bought by Wilfred Peterson, Bayfield, in the late
1970s. The boat is presently sitting ashore at the Ed Erickson dock. VIEW