Fish Tugs of the Greatest Lake
Built at Bayfield, WI in 1929 by Halvor A. Reiten. The 35 ft. x 10 ft. vessel was owned by Theodore S. Bainbridge, Bayfield until 1949, when it was sold to Chris Hadland. When built the boat had a twin screw arrangement with two 4-cylinder Dodge car motors, both engines up forward alongside the net lifter. These were later removed and one engine, a 6 cylinder Buick was installed in the center, and midship. In 1949 the boat was re-powered with a Chrysler Crown marine engine.
Photos: above, the STRANGER, anchored at Rocky Island, mid-1950s. Below, launching from the beach at Big Bay, with help from a bulldozer; mid-1950s. Launching from the east side of Madeline Island allowed Bayfield fishermen an early start on the season, providing acccess to open water while the inner islands were still locked in ice.
contents copyright 2002-2016, Harvey Hadland and Bob Mackreth