Fish Tugs of the Greatest Lake
Built at Bayfield, by Even Christensen, in 1940 for Melvin Erickson, the 40 ft. wood hulled vessel was equipped with a Buick car motor. Later re-powered with a 110 hp. Red engine, the boat was operated by Erickson and later his son Jack, into the late 1960s, and then sold to Richard Gurnoe, who had the hull covered with welded steel and installed a diesel engine. The boat is still at Bayfield, operated by Richard Gurnoe, Jr.
Photos: Top, Marianne in the ice, undated; bottom, docked at Bayfield, 2001. Note addition of steel plates in lower picture.
contents copyright 2002-2016, Harvey Hadland and Bob Mackreth